stiff steering

smackdaddy

Reaction score
I have a 93 and cant figure out where that damn screw is to loosen up my steering on the steering shaft.Aw fuc wrong place to post this....sorry

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is right I think.... I think there's a worm gear screw on the steering box but you best know what you're doing before you mess with it. I'd sooner believe you were low on fluid, had a bad PS pump or something was bad in the gear box before I'd think the steering shaft or box was too tight.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd double check the steering linkages and the ball joints first. Any of those seizing up will cause stiff steering.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i agree loosening that screw should never have to happen. something else is wrong. if the box has enough "junk" in it to bind its probubly a goner.

check your other stuff first like linkages or ball joints like suggested.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
bearings in the steering wheel can cause stiff steering and if its a 4x4 bad U joints in the axles can cause it too

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gear boxes get looser, not stiffer. So unless you incorrectly adjsuted the box causing it to be stiff (not likely since you don't know where the adjustment is) then loosening it will not help.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It adjusts how tight the two gears are meshed together, basically.

If you make it too tight, the gearbox binds up. In a worn box, the gears wear more in the straight - ahead position, so if you take all the play out at the center it will often bind in turns...

smackdaddy

Reaction score
thanks for response

Well my uncle was the one that adjusted for me and it had a allen head screw and it tightend the steering since it was so sloppy but then reading through the articles I rebuilt the steering box for 12.00 and now its got no slop but is hella tight since my uncle turned the srew thinking that would fix the problem.I justl cant remeber where that little screw was.Thanks for all the replies this is a awesome site for the mechanically impared!

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
When you had (have) the power steering box off the truck, you should check how well the rest of the linkage feels. If its still stiff, I'd check the kingpins---if you have kingpins.

suv7734

Reaction score
Here is the screw. If it's that tight I would suggest re-setting it ASAP

Attachments

• st_adjust.JPG
    st_adjust.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member