Sticky Fuel Shut-off Solenoid

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

My fuel shut-off solenoid's been sticky for quite a while now. At first, it would keep the truck running for a couple of seconds after turning the key off, but now, it's sometimes staying open for up to a minute after the key's been removed. It wasn't all that big of a deal previously, but my truck's my daily driver at the moment, and with my work schedule routinely getting me home between 0200 and 0300, I think my neighbors are starting to get tired of hearing an unmuffled IDI that won't shut down at those hours.

A few love taps with a BFH on the top of the IP will unstick it, but considering the clothes I need to wear to work, going under the hood for any reason is not really an option when I get home from work. :) I've tried overdosing with additives, to the point of pouring enough PowerService to treat 150 gallons into one tank :shocked: didn't do a thing to help the solenoid, though.

My question is this. This pump is a DIS rebuild, with about 5 years and 40K miles on it. I'm not all that sure I have all that much faith in the pump as it sits...the timing is sometimes a bit erratic, and the cold idle advance also sticks occasionally. I'm wondering if I may have had a bad rebuild in the first place, but of course the pump's long out of warranty. In your guys' opinion, is it worth my time to try and replace the FSS assembly, or should I just spring for a new pump when $$ allows? If it's best to replace the pump, I'll probably do the injectors as well (Delphi rebuilds that are also questionable)...it'd be nice if there was a matched set of injectors available with the Moose Pump, hint hint :D

Thanks! :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the spring is weak or something in the govenor assembly is sticking. Take the top cover off and inspect it all. Something sticking that bad should be pretty noticeable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online