steering

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
as many of you know, I'm not around to drive the truck all that often.
the Mrs. needs to drive the truck once in awhile and refuses due to the steering.

Ya know, nothing fancy, but it's got the standard 3inch of steering play/wander.
I don't mind it, i'm used to it, and don't even notice.

anyone ever go through the trouble of trying to fix this sorta thing? I'd like to get it to where she can drive it. Feel free to throw out some suggestions.

thanks,
Drew

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with it that loose, check the rag joint first. it's the animal between the steering gear and the intermediate shaft.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
rag joint or above that is a spot for the shaft to slip where it goes inside a bigger shaft that should have rubber in it to dampen it.

zpd307

Reaction score
the u-joint on the upper part of the shaft, inside the engine compartment has some play in mine. also, i can heard something inside the steering column when i turn. i am assuming that its the u-joint in there also. some places to check. i just replaced my rag joint, check the thread...... for some useful insight. :rolleyes:

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the ujoint is good.

I've pulled the steering column a few times, most recently while swapping the c6 for the zf5.
The one tube that slides into the other is fairly tight, plus with the set screw it isn't moving much.
I'll run a search on ragjoint.

Thanks
Drew

zpd307

Reaction score
any auto parts store..... remember its the small one, 2 5/8 or something.

*****edit- you have an older truck, it might be the bigger 3 1/16************

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another spot could be the bearing for preload in the pitman shaft has wear on it and needs a slight adjustment. That is the little stud coming up through the top with the nut on it. I can't remember what the specs are but that was the cause for my sloppy steering issue.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten mine figured out either Drew, so my parents and my brother are also too afraid to drive it. I can keep her on the road just fine. I didn't see anything wrong with yours when I drove it... I suppose it's all in what you're used to.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
yes, I'm starting to think mine is perfect as well.
I keep checking into everything, and every new thing I check out looks good.

I've got a three inch dead spot, right in the middle. You hold it to one side depending on the grade of the road and it stays right there.
On a perfectly smooth road, I can go miles and miles without touching the steering wheel.

I'm thinking my wife is just spoiled by her VW.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try adjusting the steerig. Its the jam nut on the threaded shaft that comes out the top of the box. try a half turn. As you make adjustments the steering will tighten up. Sometimes so much when you turn that it wont turn back to center easily. Thats dangerous and is time for a rebuilt box. If its getting too tight you will know what I'm talking about not returning to center.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats exactly what I was talking about I just couldn't remember the normal name for it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online