STEERING STABILIZER/DAMPER

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Has anyone added a steering stabilizer/damper to the tie-rod of an early 80s two-wheel-drive F-350 DRW??

Is the benefit worth the cost??

What brands are highest recommended??

Thanks.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I do know that is has been done, I have had some on the trucks on my lot. It is a cheap easy mod that is worth it.

Just check JC Whitney for an inexpensive set up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, you could stop in any 4X4 shop and buy one. The Moose Truck wears one from an outfit called "Heco" and it was the "big yellow" steering stabilizer. Definitely a worthwhile accessory. Don't have a clue where you get one now though. If you find out, let me know. The Moosestang needs one.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The kit I got from Napa looks like it would work for a 4x2 also.
I don't have the receipt for the part number but after looking at both my trucks, I think it's doable.;Sweet
It definitly helped on the 4x4 D-60 wobble.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you hope to fix by installing the stabilizer?

Jim

After all the thousands of dollars that I have spent, over the years-cuss , trying to make my F-350 drive half as good as my 78 K-20 Chevy, I don't really expect to fix anything by installing a stabilizer; I just sorta/kinda figure that it may help firm up that helpless:confused: "steering wheel ain't connected to the tires" feeling I get when a tire nears the edge of the road.

Ever since the first day, more than twenty years ago, that I got my truck, I have intended to swap in a straight front-axle/leaf-springs and get rid of that tire-eating ;Pissed Twin-I-Beam mess, once and for all; circumstances just haven't allowed me to acheive that dream.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually run a steering stabilizer on my rigs because I drive often on a dirt road. The steering stabilizer can help save your ball joints, and wear and tear on steering components.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I have been dealing with the steering wander in my '86 and have learned a little about what can be wrong. My rig has only 35,000 miles on it but there was quite a bit of free play at the steering wheel rim that didn't do anything. All the linkage inderneath the rig is tight. The problem was the steering gear itself. I contacted Red Head Steering Gears in Seattle about my complaints and they told me they could fix it. It seems that the gear Ford has used for quite a few years is a recirculating ball type and the balls are not selectively fit and are loose. Red Head has several oversize balls they can select to make the fit much better. They did my gear and it is like driving a new rig.

Start your rig, let it idle with the wheels straight ahead and move the wheel from side to side and see how much it moves before you see the LF tire move. I had 2"-3" movement at the steering wheel rim that didn't do anything. Now it is almost 0". Much better (-:

They have rebuilt gears in stock that have been fitted with the correct size balls. About $235.00.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a good tip. Most discussions involving trying to adjust the backlash on the steering box seem to indicate that it is a last ditch effort. If this company has better than OEM performance, that would be a big plus.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I still have the little yellow maintenance schedule booklet that is in the clear plastic bag, along with the owner's manual and diesel engine supplement.

It states that the steering gear should be adjusted every six or twelve months.

Mine has never been adjusted in it's life.

I would like contact info for that rebuilding company and any others that might be good and closer to KY.

Thanks.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put a generic kit from NAPA on my rig about 6 months ago. Came with instructions and brackets to mount to just about anything.