Steering Lock Lever Replacement

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another day, another problem :mad:

So I drained my radiator the other day and upon finding it pretty full of crap, I decided to try to clean it out with a 1:5 mix of muriatic acid and letting it sit overnight. Astoundingly, it cleaned the exposed brass but didn't do a thing to the deposits. After neutralizing the acid with baking soda and putting everything back together the truck would not start.

The ignition switch would allow it to go to the run position but it would not go to the start position. After some poking around I discovered that the "Steering Lock Lever" is broken where the locking shaft meets the curved piece. Grrr..

Basically, I need to replace #14 on the diagram on the left here:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/FD/full.aspx?page=118

Does anyone have any helpful hints on getting this out? I have the steering column apart but I am stuck on removing part #15. I don't see a way to get the back of the bolts out without removing the steering selector collar, but I can't put the truck in neutral. Any suggestions? Is this a common failure?

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, any tips on removing the roll pin that holds the starter switch actuating rod in place? I hate roll pins..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's the classic pot metal part that breaks. I think ford still sells them too. Sorry, haven't changed one personally to be much help there. Guess I've been lucky.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going by memory here, I did this about 4 years ago.

Find some screws that will thread into the pivot pins on each side, and take a claw hammer and pull the pins out.

Press down on the collar and take the snap ring off.

Keep holding down on the collar, and slide it down as much as you can while not letting the spring go behind it.

You should be able to get the new piece in. I was able to get the old piece out easily because it was broke, but had to do the above to get the new piece in.

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the part, Dorman part number 83280, steering lock lever found in the "help!" section
I ended up cutting about 1/2 of the metal rod off so I could install it without disassembling the column any further than necessary.

worked out well, and I disabled the annoying shift lockout function :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online