Steering column.

Dieselpowerking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so my 1990 f250 4x4 5speed has some play in the steering column up and down and side to side. I've been looking for all the parts and it looks like there not avaible to rebuild it. So do I have to find a used one? It's also a tilt.

clifdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a column you could use for parts, if it would work for you...not sure if auto column parts can swap into manual columns or not. It is a tilt and has a hint of up and down (which I think is normal for these tilt columns) but no side to side.

Feel free to pm if interested.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I was researching, it seems to me the auto and manual columns are very similar, but the tilt and fixed columns are different. This is purely from my googling so I could be mistaken.

Runningaford

Reaction score
I rebuilt my fixed column with the ford rebuild, bearing kit. It was super easy, and has held up. Due to how bad it was when I bought the truck, it's still got around 1/4" play, but the guy who owned it, just let it go, and go, and go.

Word of advice to anyone reading this, don't pull on the steering wheel getting in, or out; they weren't made for that.