Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so NO bolt in that slip joint!
I just noticed mine has some slop in it too :puke:
*** > it's always something :idiot:

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Franklin I just went thru this same thing with my truck. There is a black plastic (thin) unit that slides into the female part of the shaft and then the male part slides into the plastic part.

This black plastic unit is what takes up the slack in the shaft. Without it there is a major amount of play.
I thought mine was gone but it was still there (down near the steering box). It just wsn't put back properly when i last had it out.
Now the steering is tight.

This plastic unit cannot be bought from Ford anymore, in fact the enitre rag joint is no longer avalible, so you might have to go to the junkers to get one.

hope this helped,

Joe

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Franklin I just went thru this same thing with my truck. There is a black plastic (thin) unit that slides into the female part of the shaft and then the male part slides into the plastic part.

This black plastic unit is what takes up the slack in the shaft. Without it there is a major amount of play.
I thought mine was gone but it was still there (down near the steering box). It just wsn't put back properly when i last had it out.
Now the steering is tight.

This plastic unit cannot be bought from Ford anymore, in fact the enitre rag joint is no longer avalible, so you might have to go to the junkers to get one.

hope this helped,

Joe

That all depends on the model. The earlier models you can buy just the rag joint, but on the later models OBS style, you have to purchase the entire shaft assembly from ford, at which point, a Borgeson isn't that much more expensive

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 1989 f350 and I went to Ford and they told me that no part (including purchasing the entire shaft) is avalible, anymore.

I agree......Borgeson looks pretty darn good.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a OBS shaft. It's still sold at the stealership.....

Attachments

• SL378139.JPG
    SL378139.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 15
  • SL378140.JPG
    SL378140.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 12

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a OBS shaft. It's still sold at the stealership.....

yep that's the shaft they looked up and said it;s no longer avalible.
Maybe it's just not avalible in Canada anymore,I don't know :dunno......I'm just going by what I was told @ the Ford dealership, here in town :confused:

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I give up. What is a OBS?

I was looking for info on the net about my truck and kept seeing people referring to OB all the time. After a lot of hunting on the web, I finally figured out that meant Oil Burners and they were talking about this forum. I don't mind acronyms so much if they are spelled out at least one time sometime in the beginning.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was looking for info on the net about my truck and kept seeing people referring to OB all the time. After a lot of hunting on the web, I finally figured out that meant Oil Burners and they were talking about this forum. I don't mind acronyms so much if they are spelled out at least one time sometime in the beginning.
Original Body Style (92-97 trucks);Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...To get through the rest of the trip, I flattened a piece of metal and jammed it up in the slip shaft to take the play out, but was wondering how it really was supposed to work. What I am getting from the above posts is there are probably a couple of pieces missing that probably fell out when they pulled it apart...
I just did the same thing...forced a piece of 2" metal/shim up there >folded the tail over and used a hose clamp to hold it in place...WORKS GREAT >and took out almost 3" of slop at the steering wheel. And the shaft will still slide if needed! ;Sweet

told you all I'd find a way ;Really:sly

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paul-
save yourself the grief and find a intermeadiate shaft off a OBS truck.
instead of the trunion joint there's a mini u-joint and a synthetic rubber rag joint on the other end. they almost never wear out unless installed on a F450.

Newby question here-- what is an OBS truck?

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Original Body Style (92-97 trucks);Sweet

already answered