Steering box rebuild info

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have play in my sector shaft and need to replace or rebuild it. I have considered ordering a Redhead but with currency exchange that will cost over $500... I have replaced seals before and am not concerned about being capable of doing this but do these things have needle bearings or a bushing on the output shaft? Redhead brags about updating bushings to bearings but from what I can find these do have needle bearings.

Does anyone have part numbers for a rebuild kit, especially the bearing? I don't know how I can have that much play if there is a bearing in there. I don't have a leak yet so now is the time to order parts! I am reluctant to replace this with another crappy NAPA refurbished POS.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd find a scrap/spare and pull it apart. You should be able to measure and spec out any bearings and fiddle with the test unit

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have you checked the slip joint connection? In that area is a flat spring held in place by a plastic collar. When that spring fails and they do. You end up with steering wheel play near 1/2 turn. Have someone move the steering wheel from side to side and watch this connection. Its between the firewall and the rag joint.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the slip joint connection? In that area is a flat spring held in place by a plastic collar. When that spring fails and they do. You end up with steering wheel play near 1/2 turn. Have someone move the steering wheel from side to side and watch this connection. Its between the firewall and the rag joint.

I can see the output spline (at pittman) moving side to side. I would like to replace that bushing or bearing and put a new seal in... everything else looks good, steering wheel is tight to the input shaft on the SB.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edelman 8896 or gates 348485 are the rebuild kits with bearings for these gear boxes, there is only one bushing in these and it supports the top of the sector shaft where the adjustment screw is, I've done a few of these boxes and the bearings and bushings look like new, what I do find is scoring in the power piston to case from dirt getting in making it junk as I haven't found anywhere to buy over sized pistions or anyone willing to ream the case out to fit a bigger pistion.

The other area of interest is the spool valve but it's not easy to take apart and even harder to see if it is worn out, the only test would be a hydraulic flow/pressure check which most don't have the equipment to check.(not even sure where you'd get that equipment from)

I'm not really sure what makes redhead so great maybe they have access to new parts like over sized pistons, spool valves ect...

I'm in Canada too and by the time you get shipping plus return of core plus the cost of the new part your almost up in the 7-800 dollar range.

If you need any pictures of a tore apart box let me know.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The other area of interest is the spool valve but it's not easy to take apart and even harder to see if it is worn out, the only test would be a hydraulic flow/pressure check which most don't have the equipment to check.(not even sure where you'd get that equipment from)

I'm not really sure what makes redhead so great maybe they have access to new parts like over sized pistons, spool valves ect...

I'm not a redhead "fanboy." But i would try one when i need to replace mine. So I'll give you a neutral perspective. From what I understood they replace anything that's even slightly worn.
Now I have seen multiple people have issues with them. Not being able to get a "good one." What I can tell you is if it was the box causing the issue, or something else.

Far as testing. The army has these. https://www.otctools.com/products/heavy-duty-power-steering-pump-analyzer
Never used one though. I'm not a mekanic. @Leeland ever use one?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've used that tool in bigger form. It'll let you know things like what the pump is flowing, where it bypasses at, if you have a internal leak or blockage in the steering gear, blocked line, if the poppet valves are set incorrectly. As long as you have the factory flow specs for both the pump and gear to decipher what your seeing.
If this sector shaft play isn't radial or lateral and just translates to excessive play at the steering wheel I would look into just adjusting the steering gear before replacing it. It's free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online