steering blew up

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
After truck being down several weeks doing several things, I got it back together. Started engine and thought I heard a small unidentified sound. Ass I listened to try to identify the noise, which was barely auidable, a very loud POO-OOF accompanied by a cloud of mist (power steering fluid) from the vacinity of pump. Everything was dripping so I could not tell the origin of the fluid. The p/s reservoir was empty. I put a small amt of fluid in and started the truck. The top of the steering sector box is cracked and the o ring is hanging out. I , in all my years, have never seen this before??? Please- has anyone else seen this??
Foxman:dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without knowing what truck you have, it's difficult to make a diagnosis.

Just guessing--power steering gear pressure relief was/is stuck -- return line to pump is kinked, not the hose but the steel line part at the steering gear.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Sorry for not listing the truck: 96, OBS, 7.3, E4OD, Navistat turbo mt, gutted EBPV,
deleted cat, added cruise, added bucket seats and console, added visor, white faced instrement panel, in process electric fans and air-ride suspension

foxman

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you post some pics?
I'm suprised the box blew instead of the hyd hose popping out. that's much more common.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
Towcat:
I do cannot post the pics you ask for myself, However I will get discbrks to get pics and post them. The crack is across the top cover from left to right just behind the adjustment screw. The o'ring also blew out from under this top cover. I have replaced the steering box, pump, and both hoses . . But just for info, I would still like to know what happened??? This could be a wild ride if happened on interstate with this 32 ft inclosed trailer at about 65 mph. There were no crimped hoses and no visible reason for this.
Opinion: something let go inside the box OR the pump??? Either way- - everything got replaced!!
Foxman

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I'd have to chance a guess that the cover was already cracked. Perhaps someone had the jam nut too tight on the adjustment screw? When it finaly gave way the o-ring and fluid escaped. I have seen almost every way possible to break power steering, but nothing like that!
Ken