startin to get that vibe from the mrs....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oh... She has rights... Thats a given.... Anyone "thinking" wives don't are crappen in their dinner plates.... Give it plenty of thought and work it out "together". You can be right or... You can be happy... Thats up to you. I prefer to be happy... If shes happy then all is good around here....

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Put your foot down now man. :backoff
You don't want to have to ask her permission to
get another one in a few years do ya? Dude, you're
only twenty two. Don't leave her to control your life. :eek:

Is it her truck? Does she have any money into it? If no, then she has no right to complain about it! :D

cookoo are you married? I'm a bit lost, what input does she have? Get her a geo metro if she wants to save fuel :D

chimlyss

**** Farmer
Reaction score
ok first

the woman wants the truck gone

i dont owe a cent on the truck, in fact it's made me more than double what i paid for it from scrapping. i would be selling the truck and my trailer (car hauler) at the same time...get rid of a loan and have some cash in my pocket for a different truck...probably a ranger. 2.5 5 speed. i had one once and it burned 2nd and chirped 3rd.

I was quite sure you'd have voted the woman gone after a discussion like that.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
power of the pu$$y. i remember when i was 23, i got together with this girl i had lusted after all through school. a good score for sure at the time, but i let her call all the shots. boy am i glad i didn't marry her. now i have a good wife who understands my hobbies.

but let's not be too ******* the kid. we don't know his situation. times are tough.

andylad, just make sure if you sell your truck it's what's best for you and not just an order from a woman. a good woman won't leave you over a truck.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your rig has paid for itself twice over hauling scrap, I think that probably needs to go into your "financial algorithm".

Some other good variables that should be in your equation:
How far do you drive every week/month?
How much do you make scrapping?
How much do you spend on insurance?
How much do you like being able to drag home a new project on your car hauler?

Do the math, figure out how much you are going to save versus how much you really like your current IDI.

Good luck

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but let's not be too ******* the kid. we don't know his situation. times are tough.
Oh, I don't really think anyone is serious in all that, tis just friendly jokes. That said, he really does need to sit down and do the math, like y'all suggested. For instance I drive only 5 miles per day, and that's not enough for any of my gassers to warm up to the point where they get decent fuel economy, whereas the diesel gets solid 12mpg on these short trips and also and by the time the high idle kicks off there's already warm air blowing from the vents - that's all I need from it, and even tho the diesel fuel is more expensive than gas I still have my monthly cost cut pretty much in half. Co-workers freak out every time I mention I need to fill up, but they don't realized I do that once a month and so in the end I'm still better off than having a midsize car with a V6... tis all about the math :D

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Most people buy and sell on an emotional basis, and so are behind the curve, so-to-speak. Sell your truck now, and you will take the lowest value. Then later on, when you will discover that you really did need a real truck, you will over-pay, along with everyione else who will come back to a truck after the panic is over.
Now, if the truck only hauls you around, then it is another issue.
Figure your cost per mile--fuel, maintenance, insurance, and loans.
Then figure the same for a new truck. Show her the paper--it will probably not matter--she has made the emotional "decision", and facts will not sway her. But the exercise may help you to realize what the cost really is.
If your old truck is paid for, it is hard to imagine how a new truck can be cheaper.
Gas isn't cheap either.

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let a wife or girlfriend make you get rid of something you enjoy. If you are able to keep a roof over your head, food on the table for your family, and pay your bills, then she has little to complain about. I have gotten rid of two vehicles in my life that I absolutely loved. One was a Jeep I built from the ground up and the other was my old 88 F250. I know this sounds girly, but when I think of these trucks, a tear comes to my eye. Why work hard if you can't have the crap you want.
Jerry

P.S. My wife said I spend too much on my truck.......so I bought a second truck:D :D :D :D

MeanGreen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. a good woman won't leave you over a truck.

True, but remember, a good truck is harder to find than a good woman. I say keep the truck!LOL
All kidding aside, don't make too rash of a decision without really thinking it over.

Jerry

RedTruck

Reaction score
You could always take her to IDI weekend, and have her meet some of the folks here. I can't imagine anyone not getting along with the IDI crowd. Then on the drive home tell her you wouldn't have met these folks without your old rig. Just a thought.

The other thing you could do is have her help you with something on it. I've been working on a frame off on mine now for years. My wife was my girlfriend at the time and she helped my paint the floor of the cab after I had it sandblasted. She did a great job and really liked doing it. I've talked about sending it down the road from time to time and she's my biggest supporter.

Good luck,

Paul

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
haha, you guys are funny, all these posts made me laugh!! :D . thanks for all the info and thoughts. dont worry though, the woman wont leave over the truck, i wont be on the couch, and lastly...the truck is way too usefull to get rid of, and if she wants something for better fuel, ill buy something else.

lets get with it here...what other trucks can you own that can:
haul 3,000 in the bed
pull a 10,000 lb loaded trailer
get tons better fuel than a gasser

and when something breaks, be able to fix it easily with out a need for a friggen assortment of torx bits and other specialty tools!!

oh yeah and that whole still being bad ass because shes a diesel thing is cool too!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I with you on this going for the third truck now.!!:D

And my wife was thrilled when I started shopping for my 4th diesel dually................... in less than 3 years.

Now that she sees the fuel cost savings after 1 month (and 14,000 miles on the new truck) she's changed her tune.

Of course bribbing her with the new '06 Jetta TDI for her to drive helped too ....... She's too busy showing it off to her friends to bug me about my toys right now:rotflmao :rotflmao :D ..... Hope that at least gives me a couple more months of peace and quiet before it's back to begging for forgiveness:hail :backoff