Starter Solenoid

Rock

Reaction score
Hello can someone tell me how the starter solenoid is triggered ? It seems to be from a ground wire that runs from the solenoid that is mounted on the fender apron? Thanks! Rock

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Hello can someone tell me how the starter solenoid is triggered ? It seems to be from a ground wire that runs from the solenoid that is mounted on the fender apron? Thanks! Rock

You have 2 solenoids. The key sends a 12v (signal) to the fender solenoid which then sends 12v (high amp) to the starter solenoid. If the fender solenoid clicks when you hit the key but the starter doesn't spin, then either the fender solenoid is bad (test by jumping the teminals) or the starter solenoid is bad.

Rock

Reaction score
On all the other Fords I have owned there was always a heavy battery cable that came off the solenoid and went down to the starter. The 84 diesel F250 that I have only has the wire that comes froim the ignition switch, a red wire that looks to go to the glow plug relay, and about a 10 gauge black
wire that goes down to the starter solenoid. The heavy guage wire that comes off the battery goes right to the starter. I assume the 10 Guage black wire is what triggers the solenoid that is mounted on the starter?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The early models may have that setup, mine came from a '90 and it has 2 solenoids. May also have to do with the newer style glowplug controler. The smaller wire should be the signal with 12v to engage the solenoid.

Might also fill out your profile so we can see what year and model you have and any mods you may have done.;Sweet

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Hate to jump in here, but where does the cable (about 2guage) go to from the starter? I cant figure out how it reaches anything as it is too short to go to the selonoid and it will not reach the + side of the battery?

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online