Starter diagnosis/solutions

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I was getting all the bugs worked out of This truck a few times I cranked on it enough for the starter to be smoking quite a bit... I knew I would eventually have problems... a few weeks ago it was starting slower than I'd like but working... last Saturday it only clicked so I got under and tapped it with the hammer. It started really fast like it should!!!! Well it happened again today... I wasn' surprised just dissapointed... I'm sure it's a mix of getting worn, and also the cold..

So my question is can y'll choice me done ideas on someone on this forum swears up and down by rebuilding them... I would love to save the money, and I bet in a good environment I could do this job in what do you think? 4 hrs? More less? How hard is it once you take out apart? Do I need a kit? Would it be better because of the abuse to get a new one? Let me know guys!!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll be the brushes. Pull it apart, find replacement brushes of the same size, and install. Clean everything while you are at it, and grease all moving bits.

If you don't have a spare to use, see if you can get one at the wrecking yard. That way, if something goes wrong , you aren't SOL.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought 3 of those new Chinese starters off eBay a few years ago and although two trucks are gone, one of them is still carrying on four years later and this truck spent two of the four years with that starter as a landscape truck. The truck was cranked over at least 15 times a day if not more.
I've also noticed now that you can get them for around 100 bucks with free shipping.
I like them because they are smaller, lighter and much easier to install. With good cables and batteries, they also spin really fast.

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank u guys... those are both VERY good suggestions... I guess the only question I got, and determining factor is how do I get replacemenreplacement brushes, and what would they cost?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you "saw smoke"..Well I'm thinking your winding are about ruined. Or maybe the smoke was from oil burning off the outside of the case.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
First rebuild could take a couple hours.
When I did mine, I found a electric rebuilder. I was surprised, but he ordered the parts for me. Advanced Electric Rebuilders
1927 OK-97, Sapulpa, OK 74066
(918) 224-8832
https://goo.gl/maps/6VXMs5kjsHU2
Brushes, bearings, solenoid, etc. He even gave me a couple pieces of silver solder. Takes a fair amount of heat to get that stuff to melt. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the brushes in my M3T90072 Mitsubishi brand gear reduction starter a couple of months ago. I bought them from a local auto starter and alternator re-builder for $14.

I didn't have a soldering iron big enough to solder the new brushes in, so I made some crimp connectors out of some copper tubing, and crimped the new brushes to the leads of the field coils and the old brushes on the brush holder.
Next spring after the weather warms up and I have the proper wattage soldering iron, I will flow some solder into the crimp connections to make them even better.
But for now the starter works just fine and turns the engine over plenty fast enough.
Before the new brushes my starter would barely turn the engine over even when warm.

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will this starter bolt right in?

Nippondenso gear driven
R812323b

I'
Pretty sure this one will Mitsubishi r812468b
Direct driven
But I think the gear driven are faster?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That "direct drive" mitsubishi is not a direct drive; it's an inline gear reduction.

And both types spin the engine at the same speed as far as I caj tell, when they are in good working order.

Both slow down once one brush fails.