Stanadyne Fuel Minder 100 Fuel Filter

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, 2006 to be exact, the OE style water separator on my '86 failed (again) so I went to an alternative, the Stanadyne Fuel Minder 100 (google it). It's a 30 micron primary filter that is also a water separator. The version I got came with a water bowl in the bottom but not all of them have this feature. It bolted up in the same spot as the old setup (same holes even) and the only thing missing is the water sensor. I can live with that since in 20 years of the original setup, the light never went off and I never had enough water to worry about. I had no occasion to be unhappy until yesterday.

I had noticed some light surging and since this filter was due for replacement, I went after it. In theory it's a 10 minute job to replace it. In practice it took me about three hours. The filter is a push-on job with a retaining ring that holds in in place. Remove the ring, pull the filter down, unscrew the bowl from the bottom, drain it, clean it, install the bowl on the new filter, push the filter into the housing, install the retainer, bleed it and go. Not so fast bucko! The filter wouldn't come out the the housing. After screwing around about 30 minutes, I removed the assembly and tried with it in the vice. Turns out the filter is steel and the housing is aluminum or some alloy and the two dissimilar metals had mated and refused to divorce. I had to be careful so as not to break the housing but finally it came out. I cleaned up the housing and tried to install the new fitler. Again, no go. It turns out that despite what the books say, the Napa 3638 fuel fitler is not a direct crossover for the Stanadyne 31865 so I had to make a parts run. Worse, I've had the Napa filter around for a few years, so I can't return it.

Turns out both of the new filters had bare steel at the top where the corrosion occurred so I think a coat of antisieze is in order. If you look at current pics of the 31865, that part is painted, which would do the same thing as antisieze. So, if you have one of these filters and it hasn't been out for a while, look for line of rust where the edge of the filter meets the housing (collar removed). If you have filters with bare metal where it inserts into the housing, slobber it up with antisieze.

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
So if this one is not the cat's meow then what is a superior prefilter and water separator? My factory water separator is still there but disconnected by a PO, I assume because it was leaking or otherwise being a pain. I'd like to add one to catch the rocks and any large amounts of water that may be too much for the engine mounted filter.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an aside, be aware that Stanadyne has sold its filter, and additives division to Clarcor. http://www.clarcorems.com/

It is probably coincidence, but I just purchased the last available half gallon of Stanadyne Performance formula from our local NAPA. They said that they would no longer be carrying it, nor could they order it...bummer. The price was awesome, $18 for 64oz.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
It is probably coincidence, but I just purchased the last available half gallon of Stanadyne Performance formula from our local NAPA. They said that they would no longer be carrying it, nor could they order it...bummer. The price was awesome, $18 for 64oz.

DAMN I just reread the thread and saw the additive part. I just read the filter part the first time. I wonder why they decided to do that, maybe the owners are finally wanting to hang it up or go a different route with the company? After all Stanadayne has been in the game for quite a long time, its weird to see them selling their filters and especially the additives to someone else. Clarcor's page and wording looks just like a straight up copy cat of Stanadynes website from before :frustrate

BTW great price. I only have 2 bottles of the all year performance formula (purple) left. Guess I better try and go stock up just in case.

Last edited:

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that the original device Ford fitted was ONLY a water separator. The Stanadyne is a filter AND a water separator. 30um nominal as a primary is pretty standard. The secondary is rated differently depending on who manufactured it. The Napa/Wix on mine now is rated at 6 nominal (by definition the smallest particle a filter can catch 50% of on the first pass). No absolute rating is listed (by definition a multi-pass test in which the smallest particle the filter can catch 98.7% of) but I have seen lots of filter where both are listed and I would estimate a 6 um nominal filter at 10-12 absolute. I have seen 8um nominal listed by some other manufacturer and once I found an old Ford document that listed a spec for it (it wasn't impressive), but I can't find it on a quick search in the files. Anyway, a 30 um primary and a 8 um secondary are certainly "industry standard" and better than the truck was originally, but, yeah, there is room for improvement. My truck isn't going to get anything better but better is available, such as from Racor. Racor makes some great fuel filtration systems but they are pricy.

Stanadyne has been in trouble for quite a while now and I think it's just a shadow of what it once was. Decreasing market share hurt the most along with some executive errors. The labor unions made them a target some time back. There has also been some serious litigation over pensions. Don't know the latest. The Clarcor thing is pretty recent but I see no reason for the products to degrade. There may be a period of decreased availability for a time but I still see PF and LF on the shelves here (not that I use it much these days).

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
And im using the obsolete Racor 225 filter/seperator with a Baldwin 12 micron filter with integral drain in place of my factory water seperator on my 84. I have also uses a 2 micron Racor R26S filter on it but they are upwards of $50 a filter here in Canada. I have seen MANY 225's in use in various applications with no complaints. The only thing that I notice (but am not complaining about) is that the plastic bowl becomes cloudy after 15 plus years of use and you need to shine a flashlight at it to determine if there is any water at the bottom.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the Stanadyne FM100 system in my truck back in March: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?68266-My-new-water-seperator&highlight=

It replaced an old Racor setup that I has having trouble finding good(non-rusty) filters for. The Racor system had also been letting air get in the system somehow.

So far the Stanadyne setup has worked just great. Hopefully they keep making these filters. It is kind of different having a push-on filter, but I haven't had any issues with it. From my experience, I think it's a viable solution for anyone needing a replacement water separator. It is definitely cheaper than the Racor system.s

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Remember that the original device Ford fitted was ONLY a water separator. The Stanadyne is a filter AND a water separator. 30um nominal as a primary is pretty standard. The secondary is rated differently depending on who manufactured it. The Napa/Wix on mine now is rated at 6 nominal (by definition the smallest particle a filter can catch 50% of on the first pass). No absolute rating is listed (by definition a multi-pass test in which the smallest particle the filter can catch 98.7% of) but I have seen lots of filter where both are listed and I would estimate a 6 um nominal filter at 10-12 absolute. I have seen 8um nominal listed by some other manufacturer and once I found an old Ford document that listed a spec for it (it wasn't impressive), but I can't find it on a quick search in the files. Anyway, a 30 um primary and a 8 um secondary are certainly "industry standard" and better than the truck was originally, but, yeah, there is room for improvement. My truck isn't going to get anything better but better is available, such as from Racor. Racor makes some great fuel filtration systems but they are pricy.

Stanadyne has been in trouble for quite a while now and I think it's just a shadow of what it once was. Decreasing market share hurt the most along with some executive errors. The labor unions made them a target some time back. There has also been some serious litigation over pensions. Don't know the latest. The Clarcor thing is pretty recent but I see no reason for the products to degrade. There may be a period of decreased availability for a time but I still see PF and LF on the shelves here (not that I use it much these days).

Thanks for the great info man. I love reading your posts about the filtration systems and filters throughout the last week or two that it seems like they have popped up a lot more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online