stalling on decel

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Just needing some opinions everytime I push in the clutch the truck dies:dunno But it will start every time theres no surging like air or anything it just dies when the RPMs are coming down. If I leave it in gear and just apply the brakes slowing down it will stumble when the rpms get to idle but then it will pick itself back up and idle when I push in the clutch cookoo

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking fuel starvation, bad fuel or an underrunning IP governor. Check the fuel filter first as Calvin said.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
typically a dies at idle thing - is a metering valve in the injection pump. Treat it with fuel conditioner and see what happens.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Thats what I was thinking Travis but the funny thing is it just started doing it right after I had just put the filter back on full of power service. I was also wondering about turning the RPMs up some cause I know when Mel timed it almost 4 years ago he advanced it then had to turn the rpms down so now I'm wondering if with 4 years of wear if its retarded enough that the idle is just to low

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep that very well could be because a typical sign that the timing is retarded is that they will die when dropped into gear.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Thats what I was thinking Travis but the funny thing is it just started doing it right after I had just put the filter back on full of power service. I was also wondering about turning the RPMs up some cause I know when Mel timed it almost 4 years ago he advanced it then had to turn the rpms down so now I'm wondering if with 4 years of wear if its retarded enough that the idle is just to low

I once changed the fuel filter and filled the new filter full of lucas fuel treatment. Until the fuel filter was cleared of the lucas my truck did exactally the same thing! If i reved the motor up it would stall on decel. Try running down the road a stretch and getting all the power service run out of the filter. My truck was fine after fuel replaced the lucas in the filter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only 5 months until the rally. You can get it timed again. Hopefully it's still got life left in it, but it does sound like it's getting tired. The healthy dose of power service may have cleaned off some varnish that was helping the valve stick open somewhat.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aric,

That's exactly what my IP was doing before it died. The extra Power Service was a short bridge to a new IP and injectors. It helped the stalling/stubling, but the weep hole was next to act up and I called it quits and got a new IP.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath do you still have the DPS pump and Stage 1s or is that what you had to replace?

Yes I still have my DPS IP and stage ones. It will be two year in june. I used Ken's products to replace my old IP and injectors.

Heath

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I once changed the fuel filter and filled the new filter full of lucas fuel treatment. Until the fuel filter was cleared of the lucas my truck did exactally the same thing! If i reved the motor up it would stall on decel. Try running down the road a stretch and getting all the power service run out of the filter. My truck was fine after fuel replaced the lucas in the filter.

Well thats been probably over a 100 miles ago already and still does it. Whats weird is after its been run a while it won't die so I thoutgh it was the heat but if you run it a while to get it hot then shut it off and then go again it will start acting up again and everythings hot :dunno I think I'm gonna try and advance the timing a hair and see what happens. I know its getting tired cause I no longer have to worry about the EGT's when towing and it used to race to 1350 with ease;Sweet Its got atleast 100k on it but I was hoping to squeeze out a little morecookoo

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
HHHhhhmmmmmmmm any other time then now and sure but I don't want to spend that kind of money and I can't be with out it that long daily driver and all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle