stalling on decel

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My moose pump wasn't as much as NAPA wants for a reman and just a hair more than Ford wanted. The down time thing is an issue if you don't have a core to send. Perhaps you could get a loaner.

Kohan

Kohan the Barbarian
Reaction score
The local diesel injection service turned me on to a trick when I was having the same problem with stall at decel. He says that bad fuel/primarily water gets thru older filters and drys out the insides of the IP so something doesn't smoothly glide like its supposed to. His professional recommendation was to replace the IP as this sensitivity to water was a sign of older pumps or lots of water, His personal recommendation was to run ATF in the fuel tank to the tune of 4-6 oz per tank for additional lubricity. I followed the personal recommendation and 21,000 miles later have just now changed the pump with 160,000 miles on it. So the moral of this story is change fuel filters often, drain even more often and install a water separator from racor. Disclaimer: I have no business ties with racor nor do they pay me for that endorsement, I just like their separator.

Also since the price of diesel has increased 2 fold in the last 2 years we in this area of Texas are subjected to unprecedented amounts of water in our fuel???? Go figure.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
My moose pump wasn't as much as NAPA wants for a reman and just a hair more than Ford wanted. The down time thing is an issue if you don't have a core to send. Perhaps you could get a loaner.

fords where I got this pump from it was $450 and the last I heard the moose pump was just over $700 so thats a bit of a spread

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fords where I got this pump from it was $450 and the last I heard the moose pump was just over $700 so thats a bit of a spread

When I got my reman IP in September NAPA wanted $675 +core, Ford wanted 575 + core. My Moose Pump was just over $600. The price is based on the condition of your core. I must have gotten lucky I guess.

In case you need to know International sold me the IP for $380 + core. They have all the Ford configurations in their book. Delivered the next day no shipping. But I still think you should get a Moose Pump.;)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You folks will remember that Mel doesn't set any specific price, his source takes each pump on a case by case basis based on how far gone it is. Its better explained on Mel's original ad. Also a DPS pump is a little cheaper and probably comparable, yet at least you can get a hold of Mel and no one is questioning his reliability. I'd take either one over a stock DB2. Its just sad that my pump blew up in a hurry so I was stuck with a stocker from a local dealer.