7.3idi stalling

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the stalling of this thing is getting real bad. It starts right up and runs great plenty of power. It just stalls when deaccelerating iv tried all kinds of injector cleaner and nothing seems to be working. Is there something in the top cover that i can take apart and clean or replace or does the whole injector pump have to be replaced.

gandalf

Reaction score
Sounds to me as though the metering valve is sticking.

The traditional solution is to full the fuel filter with ATF, start the engine and let it run for about half a minute, until you hear the engine sound a bit different. Then shut it down and leave it over night. The ATF will be sitting in the IP. In the morning drive it hard.

Report back.

SkylabTech86IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any of your other posts but if you’re considering a full Injection pump replacement, then maybe try a rebuild kit first. Here’s one for $30ish

Here’s a db2 repair video. Seems pretty thorough. A pump is expensive. A couple of hours and $30 bucks is a lot less expensive if you have the time to spare

STANADYNE DB2 REPAIR

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i put an entire thing of injector cleaner said to treat 300gal in the 30gal tank i cant imagine it not cleaning ill go ahead and try the atf and see if that works.
Put a new fuel filter on it too. It could be clogged in just such a way as to cause the problem.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen any of your other posts but if you’re considering a full Injection pump replacement, then maybe try a rebuild kit first. Here’s one for $30ish

Here’s a db2 repair video. Seems pretty thorough. A pump is expensive. A couple of hours and $30 bucks is a lot less expensive if you have the time to spare

STANADYNE DB2 REPAIR
I'm all about this, but I think it's a bit radical for the common man.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a gallon of ATF from the auto store. Cut the fuel line and run the truck off of the ATF. For about 5-10 minutes. Shut the truck off and let it sit for one/two days.

Should solve the issue, I had to do it twice. I had the exact same issue as you and thought I would need a new IP. Did this trick as per above and my truck runs great now.

Cheers,
Never-Have-I-Ether

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also doesn't help if there's any worn internal parts. It looks like a glorified reseal kit to me, not an actual rebuild kit. BIG difference.
I agree, it's definitely a reseal kit. It's a starting point, and as with any overhaul, when you get in there you replace what needs replacing and you rebuild what needs rebuilding.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i might just end up getting a new pump as the cleaning method isnt working. It has an old hypermax non gated turbo on it with a straight pipe and no head studs. Would the engine handle the 110cc pump or should i stick with the 90cc

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i might just end up getting a new pump as the cleaning method isnt working. It has an old hypermax non gated turbo on it with a straight pipe and no head studs. Would the engine handle the 110cc pump or should i stick with the 90cc
The 90 will be day and night if bought from one of the good vendors not as much as its a ton more but it will be new and set up right.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Did you replace the filter and fill it with atf?
If that doesn't do anything, you may have air intrusion. Don't jump the gun on an ip unless you like spending money.

Rock