Stalling after revving up???

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
My 94 is stalling after i rev it and let off the pedal..........I didnt notice this problem before i changed the fuel filter. I changed it tonight because diesel on the valve cover under the filter led me to believe that the seal for the water seperator drain valve was leaking. So i read the thread on here about using a 3617 Napa filter (33617 Wix) that has the bowl built in. I then filled the filter with lucas injector cleaner and installed it after i had transferred the water sensor. So after opening the drain valve to get the ole girl to fire back up and closing it while the truck was running, everything seemed fine no leaks. But then when parking the truck and going through the snow i noticed that she stalled out when i reved up and let off. I assumed the idle was set too low so I adjusted it up and it still stalled after a rev.
Does anyone have any experience with this? or advise?
Some things that I am suspecting before your input are the new filter being more restrictive or having air still in it. Maybe the lucas was too strong even though i think i lost a good bit of it when i cracked the drain to get it started. It is cold outside (under 10 degrees) but the truck was warm right off the road when i changed the filter. The timing is either 8.5BTDC or a little advanced maybe that comes into play here too.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 94 is stalling after i rev it and let off the pedal..........I didnt notice this problem before i changed the fuel filter. I changed it tonight because diesel on the valve cover under the filter led me to believe that the seal for the water seperator drain valve was leaking. So i read the thread on here about using a 3617 Napa filter (33617 Wix) that has the bowl built in. I then filled the filter with lucas injector cleaner and installed it after i had transferred the water sensor. So after opening the drain valve to get the ole girl to fire back up and closing it while the truck was running, everything seemed fine no leaks. But then when parking the truck and going through the snow i noticed that she stalled out when i reved up and let off. I assumed the idle was set too low so I adjusted it up and it still stalled after a rev.
Does anyone have any experience with this? or advise?
Some things that I am suspecting before your input are the new filter being more restrictive or having air still in it. Maybe the lucas was too strong even though i think i lost a good bit of it when i cracked the drain to get it started. It is cold outside (under 10 degrees) but the truck was warm right off the road when i changed the filter. The timing is either 8.5BTDC or a little advanced maybe that comes into play here too.
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
the filter element did not change. only the shell. chances are you loosened up some crud and its plugging the return check valve at the top of the pump.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
Why would you fill the filter full of snake oil when it is 10*

the truck my have been warm but how warm was the junk you put in the filter.

How long did it run before it stalled?just :shoot: and put it out of misery

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Well i took the truck to work this morning..........must have been the lucas or a combination of the lucas and the cold cause it reved fine when i got to work and ran fine...........maybe i just worry too much.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something is sticking. Does it up a good bit with one of the recommended fuel additives and hope it works itself loose. I'm not sure about the lucas injector cleaner. I don't know if that is a lubricant, or more of a solvent. I would have used a fuel treatment like Howes in the filter.

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Why would you fill the filter full of snake oil when it is 10*

the truck my have been warm but how warm was the junk you put in the filter.

How long did it run before it stalled?just :shoot: and put it out of misery

well i didnt think it would hurt it......the lucas was at room temperature when i put it in the filter and i put the filter on the truck after pouring it. I let the truck run for 10 min after installing the new filter so it should have been plenty warm considering i just came off the road when i started installing the filter in the first place.
How bout i :shoot: you and put you out of your misery!:eek: :rotflmao

Diezel_Cowboy

Reaction score
Sounds like something is sticking. Does it up a good bit with one of the recommended fuel additives and hope it works itself loose. I'm not sure about the lucas injector cleaner. I don't know if that is a lubricant, or more of a solvent. I would have used a fuel treatment like Howes in the filter.

Mel the Lucas seemed to be just like howes and since napa didnt have howes that is what i bought. Here is a link to their site and bottle label: It says it has NO solvents.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=26&catid=2&loc=show

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The only thing about Lucas is that they come out with this thick fluids maybe that is way starved the IP some and now that it is mixed with fuel is gone. If You check the standyne and power service this fluids are just like diesel fuel but they do add lubricity, now Lucas fluids are much more dense than anything else I've seen. Maybe You are right, You are worrying to much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online