stacks or regular 4in exhaust?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stacks are for peterbilts or bro trucks. You know the guys with a gotee,hat on backwards,pants on the ground,roll coal all the time and take up 4 parking places when they park. Every other word is bro.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stacks are for peterbilts or bro trucks. You know the guys with a gotee,hat on backwards,pants on the ground,roll coal all the time and take up 4 parking places when they park. Every other word is bro.
What he said...he worded it better than I could have, although you could alternate "bro" with "broseph" and similar garbage... :rolleyes:

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all good points but would a regular 4 in strait pipe cool the egt down as much as stacks cause with what I've been told the set up i'm going to be running is gonna run hotter than normal by a few 100 degrees also i'm not worried about the sound because my truck before was as ridiculously loud far louder than a 7.3 power-stroke with stacks... secondly i would take my truck off road cause before i was the pull truck when people got stuck cause nothing stopped her. and currently i live in south jersey and we get up to 2-3+ inches of rain every few weeks usually however next year i'm moving to new Hampshire where they get more snow snow which i assume is the same as water so let me know new to the whole stacks vs regular strait pipe

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would a regular 4 in strait pipe cool the egt down as much as stacks cause with what I've been told the set up i'm going to be running is gonna run hotter than normal by a few 100 degrees
The more free flowing an exhaust is, the lower the EGT's are going to be...with that said, there is an upper limit to the effectiveness of this, and IDI's don't move as much air through the exhaust as a direct-injected engine that's putting out 30+ psi of boost is. The general consensus is that anything bigger than 3 1/2" is really not necessary for these trucks...some run 4" or even 5" exhaust because they like the sound or the look or such, but really, even a 4" standard exhaust with an inline muffler is going to be overkill for one of our engines. Also, if EGT's are a significant concern, investing in an intercooler would be a really good idea IMHO...it'll cost more, but it'll do considerably more to lower your EGT's than any exhaust system will.

also i'm not worried about the sound because my truck before was as ridiculously loud far louder than a 7.3 power-stroke with stacks... secondly i would take my truck off road cause before i was the pull truck when people got stuck cause nothing stopped her.
I'll say this...sound is pretty subjective. However, I've found that as I get older, I want a cab that's more quiet...being able to hear myself think has its benefits LOL I haven't ridden in a truck with stacks, but I've heard others say that it causes an obnoxious drone in the cab. At the same time, I ran my truck for about four years with only the downpipe and the exhaust exiting under the passenger's seat. I did it out of financial necessity, but it made the cab RIDICULOUSLY loud. By comparison, with a 3" straight pipe exiting in the stock location now, the cab's almost as quiet as it was when I was naturally aspirated and had a 100% stock exhaust system. You may not mind the loud cab now, but especially if you drive your truck long distance, I think the day will come when you will want the cab to be more quiet. At the very least, I would recommend experimenting a bit before shelling out big bucks for something you may not be satisified with in the long run.

and currently i live in south jersey and we get up to 2-3+ inches of rain every few weeks usually however next year i'm moving to new Hampshire where they get more snow snow which i assume is the same as water so let me know new to the whole stacks vs regular strait pipe
Actually, I think snow would be more of a problem with stacks than rain would be...before it melts, it might actually clog up the exhaust, unless you have caps or have them at an angle? So, IMHO that's an additional argument against stacks...although, to be frank, "I don't want to look like a tool" is enough fo an argument for me :D

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha thanks and yea i like the Aussie style stacks more but ill as around also, have any of u heard about how adjusting sound in different locations in side the vehicle can drain out the noise of the motor or exhaust inside the vehicle?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I''l say that I have a friend who used to have a truck with an idi and stacks. They were loud, but they were COOL. Of course that was in the late 90's when we were in our early 20's. I don't mind a good (loud) sounding exhaust these days, but I want mine to exit as far away from the cab as possible to cut down on interior noise.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theoretically stacks create vacuum pulling exhaust out if at a reasonable height at a 45 plus mph. The bed area is a low pressure zone and that will help pull the exhaust out. A single exit all the way at the rear will also do the same thing but with more restriction. To each his own.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
highly doubt it will be enough to make any difference in power or egts

If you are leaning towards stacks(which it definately seems like you are) then do them and quit asking for reasons why not hoping to change your mind. It is your truck to do with as you please, I believe most positive and negatives have been pointed out. maybe I am just tired but this sure seems like beating the hell out of a dead horse just for you to go put stacks on your truck cause you like the look of them.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
single 5" straight pipe factory routing. Will sound nasty as sheet on a turbo idi. i did 4 inch straight on mine and i wish i had gone 5 inch. it would have been tight with my 2wd though haha, but 4x4 trucks should have zero clearance issue with a good exhaust kit.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score

I'm afraid I have to disagree, I have no facial hair, my hat faces the proper direction, my pants are around my waist where they belong and I have no problem squeezing my truck between the lines in a compact parking space. I believe if you can't park it then you have no business driving it.

I still get plenty of junk in the back of my truck considering the huge 5" of wasted bed space and I have never had to clean soot off of anything. I also don't know what noise you are referring to as I can't hear the exhaust over the clatter of the motor, which is the way it should be.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the dodge truck with the uni-stack and better him.. replace the whole bed with a 8 foot by 4 foot stack.. it might just go whooooshhh .. LOL

On a serious note, you will get about the same benefit from dual stacks as a single 4 inch at the end of the day. Its a personal preference from there. The drone on long trips is something to consider, I have a cherry bomb that dumps out the side and conversations in the cab with just that moaning away get kinda old after a while. I can just imagine what dual stacks behind my head would be like.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have to disagree, I have no facial hair, my hat faces the proper direction, my pants are around my waist where they belong and I have no problem squeezing my truck between the lines in a compact parking space. I believe if you can't park it then you have no business driving it.

I still get plenty of junk in the back of my truck considering the huge 5" of wasted bed space and I have never had to clean soot off of anything. I also don't know what noise you are referring to as I can't hear the exhaust over the clatter of the motor, which is the way it should be.
what size stacks do u have height wise?

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a single 5 inch stack on my psd. It exited about 6 inches above the cab with a 35 degree turn facing backwards. Never had a problem with noise

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
what size stacks do u have height wise?

I'm not entirely sure, when I purchased them they were 60" tall and they mounted flat on the floor of the first truck I put them on. When I put them on this truck they had to be shortened due to the Y-pipe being in the bed. I would like to shorten them a bit more but that will have to wait until another day.