stacks or regular 4in exhaust?

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so not sure what to do with my exhuast ill tell you what my set up is and let me know what you think is best. 7.3l idi with a banks sidewinder turbo kit, gonna go with the bull moose pump or the junior moose pump with the moose mister mark 2 injectors and the stage one cam from R&D idi performance and a dual cold air intake. and a few other little things. with this set up what kind of exhaust would you recommend the dual stacks or 4in single exhaust. which would have a better spool sound and which would be louder. looking forward to your opinions

posted in intro too by accident if you've already seen this

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
In my opinion, stacks make a mans truck look like a kids truck. Useless and waste of a few inches of bed space. Makes it harder to sell truck as it looks like someone has been driving around "rolling coal" or something stupid like that. Id stick with a regular exhaust 3-4 inches.

What I like stacks for is on semi's where one might be spending time sleeping in the truck when its running. The stack can aid in getting the exhaust AWAY from the cab to avoid poisoning.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I'm gonna say DON"T go STACKS those belong to the Pen 15 crowd get a nice clean single 4" or 5" if you have to, the 4" will flow more than enough for you.

Why does it have to be loud? Why cannot it just not be effective and unrestrictive without being overly loud?

Maybe I'm getting old...but to me stacks are like fart cans on ricers

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well technically stacks are the same as a 4 or 5 inch strait pipe and doesn't have to necessarily be the loudest just have a real nice sound like my old exhaust would get a nice crackle right over 3000 rpm but its shot so not sure what exhaust i should get. Also, i'm not worried about selling value because im probably gonna keep it till its deal and no longer rebuild-able then drop another motor in her.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4 inch would be most practical. However if you plan on taking it places where water will regularly be above where the exhaust comes out..

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Only reason to do a stack is if you plan on having water above normal exhaust height, in which case you better do a snorkel too as that's more important. Only reason I can figure to do two stacks is if you're still NA and want dual exhaust or have a twin turbo setup. Splitting one adequately sized pipe into two is pointless.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so not sure what to do with my exhuast ill tell you what my set up is and let me know what you think is best. 7.3l idi with a banks sidewinder turbo kit, gonna go with the bull moose pump or the junior moose pump with the moose mister mark 2 injectors and the stage one cam from R&D idi performance and a dual cold air intake. and a few other little things. with this set up what kind of exhaust would you recommend the dual stacks or 4in single exhaust. which would have a better spool sound and which would be louder. looking forward to your opinions

posted in intro too by accident if you've already seen this

Personally I would go with at least 8" stacks that would be really neat with a couple sticking up about 2 fooy over the cabby that would make a real nice boom boom sound at idle and crackle like hell at 3000 rpm lots of rolling coal with a moose juice.

Alex G 7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok and Aussie stacks vs. angle cut stacks. i always though angle cut would suck cause in the rain goes right down the pipe

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mr funny guy up there. Haha

Personally, I wanted straight cut with flappers. But since mine were free, no complaints here. (Miter cut)

Really unless you live in an area that gets bookoos of rain, it's not a big deal. Yeah some black soot filled water will get thrown out, but not that big of a deal.
You can get flappers for miter cut, but they're crazy expensive.

What a lot of people do is just drill a 5/16 or so hole at the lowest point in the exhaust, so the water will drain out.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda agreeing with Kevin, it's a younger person "thing".
My two boys, 12 & 17 are both pressuring me to put stacks on while the engine is out or worked on.
I don't dislike them but smaller kind rather then bigger for my taste.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
The word stacks should only be associated with big rigs, cash And bussoms

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Just for input i have rode in two of these truck na with stacks and they both were annoying as hell on long trips, same as the cummins my brother has had. The constant noise and drone would give me headaches when driving more than 50 miles. I love my na idi with 4 in straight pipe out the back, with windows up it can barely be heard unless it is working hard, if you want it to talk to you give it pedal and roll down the window.

Chewy

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
What do ya know I'm one of those "kids" with stacks lol. The previous owner cut the exhaust off under the cab it sounded nasty. I had the stacks laying around so on they went. At least I can have a conversation while I'm driving down the road. I personally think they look and sound pretty good but opinions vary.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I'm going this route myself...
If I ever go Dodge.

:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do ya know I'm one of those "kids" with stacks lol. The previous owner cut the exhaust off under the cab it sounded nasty. I had the stacks laying around so on they went. At least I can have a conversation while I'm driving down the road. I personally think they look and sound pretty good but opinions vary.
They look better on a flatbed than on a pickup bed...in your application, they look like they actually belong there (the fact that they're not 8" in diameter really helps). Most pickup beds with stacks are closer to what Justin posted...usually done by punk "diesel-ricer" kids who also jack their trucks up two feet and put 20" rims on them :rolleyes:

To the OP, it's your truck and you can of course do whatever you want...but, as others have said, IMHO there's a strong negative connotation to putting stacks on a pickup truck...you lose the bed space, and people start thinking you're a diesel-ricer punk and therefore stop taking you seriously. Also, if you tow regularly, unless the stack's tall enough that the exhaust is thrown up high enough to clear the trailer (usually not the case on a pickup truck), you're going to have fun cleaning soot off your trailer...

JMHO...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online