Spongy and hissing brakes.

Fudd

Reaction score
My 94 IDIT has spongy brakes, but they work just fine. They have a spongy feel and they hiss when they are applied, but they have no problem stopping the vehicle.

It was this way when I got it and I’ve been wondering how much of this is in the design and how much is worn components. I’m going to fix it in the next few months regardless, because it’s just one of those little things that annoy me. I’m just trying to get a good idea of what fixing it will involve. Basically I’m wondering how normal this is or if it is a common problem with a known fix.

I was going to post this in the other current brake thread, but figured my problem was different than his and didn’t want to hijack his thread.

Fudd

Reaction score
I’m going to have to get someone to apply the brakes for me while I listen to answer that. Best guess would be the booster, but I’m not sure.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say booster. I had one years ago that leaked so bad, someone rode with me once and asked if I had air brakes. Lol.
I got sick of autozone rebuilds, as they all leaked.
I just bought a brand new one from Ford for my current truck and it's perfect. Zero vacuum noise

Fudd

Reaction score
I just got back from driving my daughter to school, and I got my head down in there to pinpoint the exact location. It’s the booster all right. I guess I’ll plan on replacing it along with the master cylinder in the next few months.

It does sound like I’ve got air brakes.