Specifically, what are the differences in a N/A vs. Factory Turbo 7.3?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I assume the banks side winder is factory. It has the banks emblems on the fenders below the F-350. Is it pretty much just the same motor, only with a turbo?
What's the difference in the injector pumps? I know there's a difference here, because I saw on another board where Ken at DPS screwed a guy by sending him a rebuilt N/A pump, and kept his turbo core.

SKimballC

Reaction score
The Banks is not factory. They included those badges with the kit. The turbo IP is set up to flow more fuel and has an additional fuel adjustment screw of debatable value. By turning up the fuel on the non-turbo IP you will have all the fuel you need, though it may already be cranked up. No telling what its been through before you got it. Get some gauges before you play with that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The non turbo motors serial numbers started at 500,079 and up to 1,116,330. They had the 1/8th inch oil ports on the block. The turbo motor serial numbers start at 1,116,331 and up from there. They have a 1/4 inch oil port setup. The non turbo casting number on the block is 10809000C1 and the turbo block is 10809000C3. Look over what you are buying. Many non turbo blocks are sporting several differant turbos sometimes passing them off as a turbo IDI motor. The turbo IDI motor was only available from 1993 1/3 thru 1994. Thats it, only 6 months of a production run. The turbo motors have a 33mm piston pin size as compared to the non turbo pin size of 28mm. Any non turbo block can have the turbo rods bolted in it. All you need to do is balance it with the turbo pin size pistons. The rods and main bearings are the same past along with the cam. Although the injectors and pump are slightly differant but any injectors and pump will fit and run well. Just amtch the pump to the injectors, don't install "G" injectors with a non turbo pump. It will run fine, it just wont run like its supposed to.

Headerpower

Reaction score
I have a N/A 7.3, 1993 truck with engine s/n above 1,116,331, so it is definately a turbo block. Do you know if the cylinder walls were also heaver than the earlier 7.3 block, ie less prone to cavitation blow out, and more rebuildable without sleaving? safe to bore out .010-.020?? It would be better to rebuild this block than change out for an earlier one when the time comes.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the castings are the same as far as I know. I think both the turbo and NA 93 and 94 blocks were perhaps less prone to cavitation because about that time, Ford actually got around to warning people about the Big C in the owner's manual. I don't know if Ken really screwed that person with the turbo/non turbo pump. He has his own "special treatment" to make them push more fuel than a turbo 'g" pump even, similar to what Mel does with the Moose Pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk