Sparks out the tailpipe

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Last night I fired up the Gold one to get her warmed up and after 5 minutes of running on the CIA, a few sparks blew out the tail pipe. :eek: There was 3 that caught my attention as they hit the snow and still glowed for a second till they cooled off.
Carbon build up?
Any thoughts as to why? Burnin WMO? :rolleyes: Was at 3 gallons of WMO per tank. I didn't check the GP's as it was down to 15F @ 8:00pm. :eek:
Goldie is on straight "D' now with a Power Service cocktail. :puke:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ron, particlates from burning WMO are likely to be higher. I would suspect that the valves may carbon up some, especially at low temperatures. I would think that once the engine gets up to operating temperature, that those deposits will burn off and thing would return to normal. I once saw sparks from the Moose Truck's stacks when I left it idle for 3 hours while I waited for the locksmith to let me back in my truck. :idiot:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
DDC,
I would not worry about a couple of sparks, just carbon build up coming out. We have a tractor (diesel) that throws sparks all the time. Just the nature of the beast.

yea,My deuce and a half does it every so often.It will really catch your eye.The stack is about eye level and to you right ahead of the windshield.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Carbon baby!!!! LOL nothing to really worry about unless the truck is really throwing em out... even then its not a big deal unless power is reduced. Nothing like blowing the carbon out. :Sly :D

You want to see sparks? go find a train thats working hard.... Run 8 and slow speed and you'll see sparks flying out the exhaust. especially on the EMDs. However, if the RR has a PM program that involves scraping stacks every 15 days in the summer, then this wont be as visible.

Really cool at night with a time delay photograph. ;Really

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Ron, particlates from burning WMO are likely to be higher. I would suspect that the valves may carbon up some, especially at low temperatures. I would think that once the engine gets up to operating temperature, that those deposits will burn off and thing would return to normal. I once saw sparks from the Moose Truck's stacks when I left it idle for 3 hours while I waited for the locksmith to let me back in my truck. :idiot:

Funny to say that, I haven't got the CIA mod done yet. Still trying to find the Diode. No more Radio Shack nor electronics parts stores left in town. Gotta run long distance. With this weather.. Gonna be consolidating the trip.
For the cooler op temps yes I can vouch for that. 20 minutes of warmup so the little tykes don't get cold will only bring the temp up to 140F with all the grill inserts in. Running 55 mph back roads white knuckling it, I can see 185-190. Now 75 mph on the highway, I can get 210F where she runs normally according to the aftermarket gauges. ;Sweet
Had the last of the WMO mix to burn off so the Gold one should be able to clean herself out over winter.
BURN BABY BURN! ;Sweet

Chickened out on the quarter glass entry system huh? :rolleyes:

Freight_Train

Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
Carbon baby!!!! LOL nothing to really worry about unless the truck is really throwing em out... even then its not a big deal unless power is reduced. Nothing like blowing the carbon out. :Sly :D

You want to see sparks? go find a train thats working hard.... Run 8 and slow speed and you'll see sparks flying out the exhaust. especially on the EMDs. However, if the RR has a PM program that involves scraping stacks every 15 days in the summer, then this wont be as visible.

Really cool at night with a time delay photograph. ;Really

whats wild is when the crew knows what they are doing and Slams it to run 8,backs off and slams it home again!Can you say FIRE!Usually doesn't work with the GM stuff but with GE and Alco stuff......Nice fire balls!

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
I haven't got the CIA mod done yet. Still trying to find the Diode. No more Radio Shack nor electronics parts stores left in town. Gotta run long distance.
well, brother - i'm thinking of doing this mod (for the inverter), so if'n ya want, i'll pick you one up... RS is a dime a dozen down here in the city :D i think i can find your address @ BOOB, so i'll drop one via USPS. i have to go to the PO in the morning anyway.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
whats wild is when the crew knows what they are doing and Slams it to run 8,backs off and slams it home again!
I'm guessing that "Run 8" is the locomotive equivelant of "All Ahead Flank" on boats?

Must be a sight to see, though...

Freight_Train

Reaction score
The Warden said:
I'm guessing that "Run 8" is the locomotive equivelant of "All Ahead Flank" on boats?

Must be a sight to see, though...

yea,in a locomotive everything is hand controlled.The throttle has 9 notches.Idle and 1-8.Run 8 would be the equivelant of Travis even though I bet even he would be yanking for more!

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
Run 8 would be the equivelant of Travis even though I bet even he would be yanking for more!
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao
i'm sure he could figure a way to get a few more ponies out of it before it melted...

this thread has now put that song "train, train - take me on out of this town..." in my head.
Blackfoot? Molly Hatchett? :***:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
yea,in a locomotive everything is hand controlled.The throttle has 9 notches.Idle and 1-8.Run 8 would be the equivelant of Travis even though I bet even he would be yanking for more!
:D

When I was a wet-behind-the-ears newbie on the Scout boat (way back when ;) okay, it was "only" 1994, but still), the boat I was on had an EOT, so we had an engineer in "the pit" at all times manning the throttle and gearshift for the "crash-box" tranny. The head engineer explained the EOT to me like this:
Ahead Slow = 500 RPM's (idle on the single 6-71 this boat had)
Ahead Half = 1000 RPM's
Ahead Full = 1750 RPM's
Ahead Flank = Disconnect the governor from the fuel rack control, pour some whiskey into the fuel tank, bend the throttle over the forward stop, and go baby go!

GOD!! I miss that boat... :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea,in a locomotive everything is hand controlled.The throttle has 9 notches.Idle and 1-8.Run 8

You forgot Engine Shutdown. That's 10, but yea you don't really use it. Just don't pull the handle out in your haste to idle down. Don't ask me why I know. :rolleyes:

Getting back to the high idle thing, I'm going to look at replacing the high idle solenoid in the Moosestang with a screw motor (Power door lock motor), so that I can control high idle electrically, without pushing down the pedal to kick it up. The limit switches will be the pain.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
Agnem said:
You forgot Engine Shutdown. That's 10, but yea you don't really use it. Just don't pull the handle out in your haste to idle down. Don't ask me why I know. :rolleyes:

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao Been guilty of that too.... killed 6 units at once when I was moving it around the service area. Nobody could figure out how the hell I did it..... until one of the old-heads cornered me and asked if I had pulled the throttle through Idle-stop. Yep. :D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
whats wild is when the crew knows what they are doing and Slams it to run 8,backs off and slams it home again!Can you say FIRE!Usually doesn't work with the GM stuff but with GE and Alco stuff......Nice fire balls!

Hey thats my favorite trick. :D Pull a good hill in run 8, cut the throttle 2nd notch, count to 10 then snap back to 8. Depending on conditions this is good for a 10' + fire ball. ;Sweet