Source of NEW engine harnesses or at least connectors?

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is a 1990 F350, and my engine side harness appears to have been the victim of MANY hands lacking in clues, lol. On the way to work this morning, I lost power to the fuel solenoid on the injection pump, without an obvious reason why. I've had that connector work itself loose a few times over the years, but this is the first time that I've just lost all power on that wire. Lacking anything resembling diagnostic tools with me, I just jumped it straight to the battery, and continued on to the job site.

Really though, it's well beyond time just to replace the whole harness...there are MANY wires that have been cut and spliced...poorly, in there. Most connectors are slightly corroded and/or worn out..I just want to rip it all out and start fresh with it. I don't want to just put in another used 30 year old harness.

Is there a source for NEW harnesses for these things somewhere out there? Or even just the connectors? I can easily build out a harness, I've done it for several other vehicles when doing EFI engine swaps.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about some Delphi Weatherpack connectors? If you're going to redo it all anyway.

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Weather-Paks don't account for things like the locking tab connector for the fuel solenoid, fuel heater, filter vacuum sensor, oil pressure and coolant sensors, etc. I also really don't want to have a bunch of spliced on pigtails here if I can avoid it.

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not trying to rewire the whole truck here, lol. I've done several Painless kits already on various vehicles, and even the vehicle specific kits don't include all of the connectors one would need to do the entire vehicle. But even the only vehicle specific stuff they have for a '90 truck is the 3g alternator swap harness.

There's a big connector on/near the passenger firewall, maybe 12 or 14 pins (guesstimating..didn't count), that connects to the engine harness. I'm just looking at redoing the wiring from that connector on down to the engine.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I surely wish there was a way to get some of the Ford connectors. For example, if we could buy that connector behind the rear tank for the tail lights, we could make a plug and play trailer connector back there.

I'm thinking that the best we can do is to use the smaller Anderson Power Pole connectors to stack together to make replacement connectors. That'll require cutting off both the male and female connectors and going totally custom, rather than just putting on a new engine harness that plugs into the old connector on the truck.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a big connector on/near the passenger firewall, maybe 12 or 14 pins (guesstimating..didn't count), that connects to the engine harness. I'm just looking at redoing the wiring from that connector on down to the engine.

Well I understand what you're saying but that's why I mentioned Weatherpack. It would be an ideal replacement for that particular connector. Part of the reason that connector has the issues it does is lack of sealing.

I really do hope someone tracks down a source for those locking connectors on the IP. Apparently some people use regular spade connectors but that's not the same....

Detroit80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the locking spades are easy enough to deal with... Plenty of options for that one that will still lock on correctly without resorting to just smashing down on a regular QD terminal to fit tighter.

I'm thinking more of things like the fuel pressure/vacuum sensor, fuel heater, and other oddballs like those. Heck, I haven't even found a source for the round push on terminals for the coolant temp senders that are actually quality terminals meant for this purpose. Sure, I could use a QD bullet female that's close enough, like what people use to replace glow plug connectors (which I know are also unobtanium), but they're generally too stiff to really work correctly here. The others I've tried seem to make Harbor Freight terminals appear to be high quality parts, lol.

I have some ideas to make some of this stuff, though they won't be Pebble Beach level exact copies. But I also figured it these things were already out there, no point in trying to reinvent the wheel either.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For example, if we could buy that connector behind the rear tank for the tail lights, we could make a plug and play trailer connector back there.
These are already being sold, or at least they used to be. I've bought them several times in the past. The plug and play trailer connector that is.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No. A trailer wiring plug that plugs in to the factory tail light wiring plug at the back of the truck. It's by the rear bumper on the driver's side. I've bought them at a couple of different parts stores. The ones for Dent Sides that I bought were wired wrong. IIRC, the turn signals would make the opposite ones flash on the trailer. I tried to take them back and explain why they were wrong. They tested the plugs and told me that there was continuity along all of the wires. I couldn't make them understand what I was talking about so I kept them and just switched the two turn signal wires around. Then they worked fine. The two for Bull nose trucks that I've bought both worked fine.
Here you can see the very dirty example of the one on my F250. It's the one with zip ties on it. That's because the ancient plastic retaning clip broke. It's basically a "T". If you look closely, you can see the rear bumper bracket and the chilly spider hanging out there (it's 33*).

You must be registered for see images attach

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are already being sold, or at least they used to be. I've bought them several times in the past. The plug and play trailer connector that is.

I think he was referring to the two on the frame rail that the factory trailer harness went to. The ones that include the brake controller wiring from the cab. It's two four pin connectors. I was lucky enough to actually have pigtails for them on my truck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know. He mentioned the plug for the taillights and making a plug and play connector. I was thinking only about trailer lights. Maybe I just read it wrong?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read it as he wants to build the connector with the splicing for the trailer wiring complete so it is plug and play.

Edit: thats still vague. Say on my truck without factory tow stuff, a PO had a rats nest of wires all corroded and gross with a corroded plug that I need to replace. If we I got a connector to replace the rear harness and gain a 7 and 4, that would be ideal.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Say on my truck without factory tow stuff, a PO had a rats nest of wires all corroded and gross with a corroded plug that I need to replace. If we I got a connector to replace the rear harness and gain a 7 and 4, that would be ideal.
I kind of dread looking at the trailer wiring on my project truck. There's a plug in the bed for gooseneck trailers and there's two in the rear bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online