Sounds like a bearing is going

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I just got back from a trip to lake Billy Shinook (sp?) ;Sweet . The truck ran fine there and back, but we were getting a sound as if a bearing was going out from under the hood. I'm pretty sure that it is coming from the axcerssory drive. It will only sqeak (thats the best I can describe it) when it is warmed up and you give it throttle. My first guess would be the belt, because as far as I know it hasnt been changed since my dad has owned it (he got it with 30,000 miles, and over the trip we rolled over 140,000 miles). But I would think that if it was the belt it would be giving off the sound even when the engine is cold. Also some of the pulleys have some corrosion on them.

And even with the sqeak the truck was fine, and everything run by the belt seemed to be working (ie. alternator was putting out voltage, powersteering was working, power brakes were working, water temp was fine, A/C worked good, and whatever else I missed worked fine)

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this on the 85?

If you want to eliminate the belt as the culprit, spray some WD40 on it, if it gets quiet then its the belt, if it keeps squeaking, then its prolly a idler.

Crumm

No Comment
Reaction score
Sounds like a idler pulley going south. You can replace the whole pulley or just the bearings in it. I forget the part numbers for the bearings but someone will chime in with them.

By the way it is Lake Billy Chinook. That is a great lake and I miss it. i have not been there since 1994 when I moved to Alaska. Parents have a cabin up there and use to have a houseboat on the lake. Lots of good childhood memory's..

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I'm with Crumm...sounds like bearing in a pulley getting ready to turn loose.

My vacuum pump was the culprit and when it went it went and took the belt with it, so let me tell ya what did work.......the radio, and that was it....no brakes, no P/S, no nothing.

Put a good eye on the pulleys and see if one is out of alignment with the others.

John

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to tell you guys what truck it was. It is my dads 95 cc srw 4x4 E4OD 4.10's.

What I dont get is that it only does it when its up to temp :confused: .

95_stroker can I still use the WD40 on this rig to see if its the belt?

As far as the idler pulley, I think it was replaced not to long ago (within 30,000 miles), and it seems to be working fine.

As far as the vaccum pump goes, its really coroded, its not solid rust but theres lots of it on the thing.

Thanks for the help so far guys :thumbsup: .

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
With the belt off, spin the vac pump pulley by hand and see if it wobbles or squeaks. The one on my '95 would squeak when I shut it down then one day it didn't squeak any more....cause it wasn't turning, ate the belt as well and of course I was 30 minutes from nowhere when it did it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford guy, the WD40 trick isnt a recommended troubleshooting aid, but it is one that is cheap and dirty and takes no time. Just give the belt a very quick small shot of juice, if the belt is slipping and squeaking, this will silence it. If its not the belt in the first place then the noise should still remain. Running with WD40 on your belts is not a recommended practice. :D

Bad_Bad_Bubba

Reaction score
Prestone makes a belt dressing spray to takecare of the belt noise. I always try that first when I hear squeaks.