Something is clunking/slamming every time I let off the gas. ***?

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of days ago that when I shifted from Park to Reverse, Reverse to Drive, or Drive to Park something (presumably the tranny) would slam hard forwards - like hard enough you can feel which direction it's moving. I took it in and had it looked at, it wasn't acting up for them, but they did drain (not flush) the tranny and change the filter and pan gasket. Now, I bring it home, and when I let up off the gas it does something similar. If I ease off of it it'll just grumble at me, but if I have it even at a very moderate acceleration and and come entirely off it'll clunk. Hard. Any thoughts? The brake light comes on too, but I don't know that that's related, I think I've got a bad RABS valve that comes on anytime the truck bounces a certain way. Any thoughts are appreciated

-N

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Motor mounts come to mind...engine/trans movement can cause a lot of strange noises and things to happen. Is it 4WD? Could be transfer case issues if it is, or could be torque converter, low tranny pressure, etc.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2WD - I should check the motor mounts. They had it up on the lift today, I wonder if they would have thought to look for that?

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll go shake on it in the morning, see if I can feel anything give. It doesn't feel like it's in the motor though, it feels like it's under the seat, which is why I'm thinking tranny problems.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Be sure to check the transmission mount as well. They can fail and cause weird issues, driveline binding, etc.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't do anything in 1st or 2nd, but in 3rd & 4th, when I let it coast in gear it rumbles a bit, which is all new, it wasn't a gradual thing.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
It could well be transmission related...they don't have the best track record, but just suggesting simple less expensive things to look at. Would suck to go through a tranny R&R to find something simple still existed. Good luck and let us know what you find.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the simple things first approach - last time I asked here, I kind of ignored the simple thing people (much more experienced than I) were suggesting and spent a week tearing apart my fuel delivery system to work out that it was, in fact, a bad fuel takeup in the tank. This time, I'll listen to you first, rather than deciding I know best :oops:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was motor mounts when it slammed and clunked. Try getting on 'er. if it stil ldoesnt do it in 1st and 2nd it might well be something else

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Since yall are mentioning motor mounts, my truck keeps eating pilot bearings, like the last one we took out of there was completely trashed and a month later the brand new one is starting to squeel when I let off the gas and engine brake. could that be motor mounts i wouldnt think so since the motor and trans are bolted together and should move as one but im at a loss to explain it

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the carrier bearing as well. It will clunk, and then grind and make a general nuisance of itself. But it usually does it for a long time before it becomes a real problem.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I've never heard of motor mount problems on these engines before.

You sure your rear end is nice and tight? Differential could have to much backlash...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have it to. Mine seems like there is a little play in the driveline somewhere, to if I let off the throttle and coast, then give it some throttle, there is a slight hesitation and a clunk. I always thought it was the play between the transfer case and read diff (truck sitting you can turn the drivline a little bit each way when parking brake is engaged.