Something is clunking/slamming every time I let off the gas. ***?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
U-joints and pinion bearings come to mind.....both are easy to check, grab the driveshaft by hand near the joints and wiggle and twist. Look and feel for slop. Grab the pinion yoke and wiggle it up and down. Feel for any play.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spline going into the carrier bearing may be dry and need lubed, the wheel wrap will cause it to break loose and bang some rumble from the U-joints. Pull the dust cover off the torque converter and check the 4 nuts from the TC to flexplate may be loose, if they are the holes will wallow out, then it's a $126 for a plate plus pulling the tranny. Trannies don't make that kind of noise your saying.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of motor mount problems on these engines before.

The moron who swapped my engine loved romping on it, and only used normal nuts which punched through the plate on the drivers side... Probably while he was romping on it. Not sure but I think these were supposed to have washers or flange nuts? These probably were loose anyway.

Anyway I fixed that issue with flange nuts...

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I've never heard of motor mount problems on these engines before.

Dont think it's a common problem, but they do go bad, had a bad dside one in my truck and it clunked around, etc. I replaced them all, once one goes, it really works on the rest of them!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Another thing to inspect when clunk on decell, is the front suspension bushings. Bad strut arm bushings clunk on decell.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the rear pinion. I had a loose pinion nut and wore the splines in the u-joint pinion flange. New flange and i was back in business.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it - it was in the rear half of the truck... Related to changing my rear wheel cylinders about a month ago... Any takers as to what it was?

Danoflapper

Reaction score
The cross brace fell out and rattled around? I did that before when I removed the parking brake cable and some other stuff.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I had a 1 ton with what your describing and it turned out I had broke the ring and pinon, so I would check things very carefully before you spend money and whatever you do doesnt fix your problem rear diff vibration will travel through the drive line and make seem its like the tranny when actually it is the rear diff.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DING DING DING!!! Got it! I'd changed both wheel cylinders and had moved on to the next wheel and left my helper to put the wheel back on. He'd done it up, made very sure to torque them down in a star pattern and even had the hubcap back on by the time I got around back. Otherwise, I might have noticed that the lug nuts were ON BACKWARDS:eek:
I've put four hundred miles on that truck since then, and they backed themselves off like an inch by the time I had somebody else drive the truck to see if they could diagnose it. He pulled out of the driveway and I ran out and flagged him down because I could see the wheel wobbling. I think that they just started to back themselves out a couple days ago, when I started asking here - then whenever I drove it just a bit they worked themselves loose even more. Anyways, now I know - don't assume because people seem like they know what they're doing they actually do:D