Some lift advice

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
First off, I browsed through about 20 different lift/level threads on here. None answered my questions exactly.
My truck is an f350 4x4 and it has the "factory" 4" lift blocks in the rear plus airbags added. I want to get rid of the front heavy look and get it level, or at least close. I was orginally going to cut some blocks and buy new ubolts and mount em under the front leaf springs. I've now understood that is a no go in terms of safety. So I read all about the add a leaf, but I feel like the ride will be more awful than it already is. The cheaper I can do this the better, but I realise it probably won't turn out great if I cheap out. Just looking for a couple inches like the leveling kits for newer trucks. I'm considering a set of rancho 9000s because I can get them for a fair price, would this change my options. From what I've read, AAL seems to be the way everyone goes.
Thanks,

Max

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are right about the no-go on the front blocks. If I were you I would do the add a leaf and put those rancho shocks in. the ride shouldn't change too much. However you will probably end up doing some steering adjustment to compensate for the height difference.

Another item of note, even though you have airbags in the back, once you level out the truck, then put a trailer or a big load on it, the back is gonna sink down enough that it might look a little silly. As a result you may find yourself airing up those bags more often than normal. That is why most trucks have a rake to them. If you keep the air bags aired up, then you will probably notice a rougher ride as well.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
You are right about the no-go on the front blocks. If I were you I would do the add a leaf and put those rancho shocks in. the ride shouldn't change too much. However you will probably end up doing some steering adjustment to compensate for the height difference.

Another item of note, even though you have airbags in the back, once you level out the truck, then put a trailer or a big load on it, the back is gonna sink down enough that it might look a little silly. As a result you may find yourself airing up those bags more often than normal. That is why most trucks have a rake to them. If you keep the air bags aired up, then you will probably notice a rougher ride as well.

I figured AAL was probably going to be my best bet. Those ranchos are adjustable so I'll be able to stiffen them up with a load on+ the air bags so it should keep it fairly level. I read a bit about the steering column being too short on a 3" body lift. In other words, will I be up against any difficulties I don't know about now.

Also, I'm planning on doing ball joints, bearings and an overall inspection of the front end, and it already drives fairly good with the 35s on there. I'm hoping not to loose a bunch driveability because of the height as it's on the road more than the dirt.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nose down is only when the truck is empty. With a nice load it will be level which is best when you're pulling heavy crap. Having a light steering axle can be dangerous.

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dropped my 1K lbs block on the rear for winter weight and it wouldnt settle down onto the freakin overloads, Ive got perma tilt with my truck.

There is no plan for heavy loads, so I can safely remove the OL leaves quite nicely. Also as I have a lower front end I'd like to change my front spring...goal...throw a seat of rear springs on the front!

Why you ask, good question, one the eye to eye length is slightly longer for better flex while wheeling, also having multiple thinner leaves, I can hopefully TUNE my ride a touch. Just seams like a good way for me to have some fun.

For you I'd suggest using the Add a Leaf and Ranchos...

JM2CW

Al

Last edited:

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to be on the inexpensive end and not compromise the ride quality, the put a shorter block in the rear with new u-bolts.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
If you really want to be on the inexpensive end and not compromise the ride quality, the put a shorter block in the rear with new u-bolts.

I'd do this but I am running 35s and they don't have much clearance up front, but a nice amount of clearance with those 4" blocks in the back. I'll probably have to add a leaf and get the adjustable ranchos. Hopefully the springs hold their shape for at least a couple of years before sacking out. Will I run into any trouble with steering column or drive shaft issues, I shouldn't seeing as it's a pretty small lift. I drive pretty conservatively but occasionally I want to be able to light up the tires a bit. I'm getting wheel hop so I don't even bother trying because I'm not into blowing the axle up. I've read this is because of the block lift and because the back end is really light. Again, I really don't plan on doing burnouts often but fun is needed occasionally. Traction bars would solve my issues correct?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Look into a reverse shackle kit. This and some superduty leaf springs will give you about 2" of lift in the front and a much better ride. I would also consider Bilsteins.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could just get some extended shackles, then you will keep your ride quality and you will get the front end level, sometimes to you can get the springs re-arched at a suspension shop and that will give you more lift in the front also

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
Look into a reverse shackle kit. This and some superduty leaf springs will give you about 2" of lift in the front and a much better ride. I would also consider Bilsteins.

Wow, I forgot you could flip the shackles. Thats how my buddys chevy was lifted and it rode awesome. This is the way I'll go im sure. Hopefully I can find some cheap SD springs, maybe at a scrapyard? If not then RSK with stock springs and aftermarket shocks. I was originally going to get bilsteins but I've heard some not so great reviews on them. Seems like most people like their rancho 9000s. My mind isn't made up yet so we'll see.
Thank you for the suggestion!

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am the owner of an offroad shop. I highly recomend the bilstiens 5100's to the rancho 9000. The adjustable 9000 has never made a huge difference in ride quality on a 1 ton. Plus Bilstiens are warranteed against leaking. However, Rancho has a big promotion this month on a rebate for the purchase of qualifying rancho performance products.

Super Duty springs work great. Cost about $50 (US) a pack here.

alwaysdiesel

The new guy
Reaction score
I am the owner of an offroad shop. I highly recomend the bilstiens 5100's to the rancho 9000. The adjustable 9000 has never made a huge difference in ride quality on a 1 ton. Plus Bilstiens are warranteed against leaking. However, Rancho has a big promotion this month on a rebate for the purchase of qualifying rancho performance products.

Super Duty springs work great. Cost about $50 (US) a pack here.

I will take your advice on the bilsteins for sure. Could you possibly send me a link to these $50 spring packs. I've found them for in between 100 and 200 for just one side. You probably reccomend converting all 4 springs to SD's and reverse shackle up front and in the back for the best suspension? Other wise it will ride nice in the front back the back will still be rough. I was looking at the pmf kit http://www.pmfsuspension.com/OBS-RSK-SD-Spring-Hanger-Conversion-Kit_p_13.html. And was wondering if thats the only part I need or if the pitman arm and trac bar drop mounts are neccesary. The trac bar mounts are for traction bars which I don't think I need? Plus I'm wondering about steering stabalizers and such.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped my 1K lbs block on the rear for winter weight and it wouldnt settle down onto the freakin overloads, Ive got perma tilt with my truck.

There is no plan for heavy loads, so I can safely remove the OL leaves quite nicely. Also as I have a lower front end I'd like to change my front spring...goal...throw a seat of rear springs on the front!

Why you ask, good question, one the eye to eye length is slightly longer for better flex while wheeling, also having multiple thinner leaves, I can hopefully TUNE my ride a touch. Just seams like a good way for me to have some fun.

For you I'd suggest using the Add a Leaf and Ranchos...

JM2CW

Al

I put some rear springs up front once...got a mile or two down the road and BANG! The rears of the springs BENT up.

I vote shackle flip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faust