Soft Brakes, front 1/2 of MC low, leaky steel brake line

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper vs steel line is night and day difference
Copper line it’s wonderful you just bend it with little worry and flares great
Steel line you can kink it if you bend it the wrong way and I have a 50/50 success rate for steel flares
Weed whacker string is great to put in your brake line while bending to insure you don’t kink
Don't get confused and call it just copper line. It's not regular copper line (which you can buy in the hardware store) it's a alloy of copper. It bends easily but has the strength to withstand brake system use. During a panic stop, the brake pressure can spike over 2000psi. That's why you are not supposed to use compression fittings on brake systems also.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper/Nickle line to be here this week some time.
I just ordered this Lisle Brake Flairing tool off Amazon. Does 3/16" and 1/4", supposedly American made and all the reviews were Positive for the most part. And best price when looking at shipping and tax.

Click on the compare prices in this link. all over the place.

One guy complained the label on the case wasn`t firmly attached, and was going to see if they could send him a new one with better glue....really?

Goat

Last edited:

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is truly amazing what people can find wrong with stuff nowadays.

James

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that tool does do double flares. That is what you need for automotive plumbing, a double flare. Another reason to use copper/nickel, it's easier to get that double flare going.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Well last fall I bought 2 ea kits Performance Tool kit #W80670.....regular flare & double flare from 3/16" thru 1/2"
I didn't pay that much for them. Knowing me as tight of a TIGHT *** I am I wouldn't have paid very much for them, especially buying 2 kits.

Can't remember where I bought them, maybe ORilly's.

I needed a kit to do some double flare on injector line on a Massy Ferguson tractor I got. I decided to buy 2 kits, one to keep here at home, one to keep up town at my shop I have rented.

That's why I got to get my 40'x64' shop finished here at home!!!!!! (that way I'll only need 1 kit LOL )

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Morning to all you Gear Head`s, Wrencher`s, and lovers of old dependable Oily, Greasy Iron.

Finally got my Copper/Nickle Brake line delivered late Tues evening by Brown.
Bought 4Lifetime LTCC325KIT, 3/16" X25 ft. Mainly as I remember reading, is U.S.A made.

At the bottom of the Info etc... says...
A Product of 4lifetime USA
Made in one of more of the following countries
U.S.A, China, Vietnam, or Taiwan.

I suppose there is a ratio of Copper to Nickle in the material, wonder if it varies depending as what country made it?

Late last night the Kit to make the Double Flair was delivered.

Lisle 33260,
Bought it as I remember it too is made in the U.S.A.
Says, "made of U.S.A and Global Components".
"Case made in Taiwan"

So who know`s where the tool is made?
Not complaining, just thought it interesting.
Looks like a well made tool.

Watched several videos from the different MFG. kits.
The special Punch grease containers looked like a good size.
The one in the kit is 1" wide X 1/2 inch. Kind of made me laugh.
Not so sure what is special about it. Guess it has to be compatable with the Brake Fluid if any is not cleaned out of the Brake Tube.

Going to have to put this Brake job on hold for the next 2 weeks or so.
Yesterday went in for my Cataract surgery, so they dont want me bending over or lifting anything over 20lbs this week. Don`t what to put any pressure on the eye.
Then next Wed doing the other eye.

See ya guys later...PUN.

Goat

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
@Old Goat hang in there on the cataract surgery. Brake lines can wait for sure!!

My 66 yr old BIL always wore glasses since he was a little boy. Last year he had cataract surgery in both eyes, no longer wears glasses & can see nearly 20/20.

Big family joke......few yr ago he headed to town & decided to pull glasses off & drive...... got to looking up the road & there was a brown cow out in the road. Suddenly realized the brown cow was a BIG BROWN COW!. & it was moving really fast, fast coming at him!
Got to feeling in seat for his glasses, BIG BROWN COW coming at him fast!!!

He got scared, finally got glasses on just as the BIG FAST BROWN COW got to him.....Just as glasses got on the BIG BROWN COW got to him and suddenly turned into a BIG BROWN UPS truck!!! LOL LOL LOL

& BTW, I see double & triple in both eyes older I get so I wonder if maybe.......maybe I need something??? Hummmm
However I still got my CDL & lucked/tricked thru my 2 yr physicals!! LOL

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OH yes, the double vision.
Back in 2014 when we were moving from Santa Cruz to Nevada, we wouldn`t finally get loaded up and pulling out till around 9 - 10PM.
Coming over Hwy 50 and it would be around Mid Night, looking through one eye because of the Double Vision. Thought it was because I was tired.

But it kept on and finally got corrective Glasses, and was night and day difference. But when I get the yearly eye exam, always had to up grade them to keep it corrected... and to be able to read and see down the road.

It was getting to where the big green over head Hwy signs were fizzy till I got closer to them, and especially street signs.
I notice now at dusk and later Iam seeing double, Thinking my eyes are tired, but if I try focusing I can sort of see single. So see where all this takes me.

This last eye exam, where they are flippin the lenses back and forth, "1 or 2, 3 or 4" etc.... and he said I was counter dicting my self, to where he tested some more, and sent me to the Surgery eye center.

There are as I remember, 3 levels of lenses, entery basic, one, a $1200 one and the $2200 one plus the $1200 tacked onto it. The top one they can come in and adjust after I get the second eye done. The others they can not.
Also come back in later on if my eyes change.
I said "Oh like a dimmer switch, have high and low beams"...LOL

So we`ll see how it all work out. Pricey, but worth it. OH, that is $3200 per eye.

I have my CDL also, easier to keep than try to get it back. had it since 71.

Goat

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
BTW, I see double & triple in both eyes older I get so I wonder if maybe.......maybe I need something??? Hummmm
Did you just drive one of the homeless hotels in Portland? maybe the fumes from there made you see in multiple? :joker:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01