So what did you do with your truck today?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Just an FYI to those reading this, always keep a pie plate or carb hat nearby when doing something like this, it can save your engine and after you’ve experienced a runaway once you don’t forget it

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Yikes. Just an FYI to those reading this, always keep a pie plate or carb hat nearby when doing something like this, it can save your engine and after you’ve experienced a runaway once you don’t forget it

I keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy instead.
I'm outta harms way, and it can't run with that going down the intake.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn dude.
Well, you will be the first first-hand experience I've heard of with putting the top cover on wrong, having the engine runaway.
Everybody talks about it, but never heard a real story. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Not what I wanted obviously, but maybe someone else can learn from my mistake.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this week I'm doing an engine swap.
Well, make sure it's actually bad before going through all the work. Sure, it seems bad now, but let it cool down, re-hook the lines up and give it a crank. IDIs are frigging /tough/.

That being said, I apparently wanted to top my own adventures:
You must be registered for see images attach

I kind of got stuck, today... with V-bar chains on the front, trying to pull my friend out.
It took a chained-up 4x4 tractor to get me out of this.
And, despite how twisted everything was(the top of the front left tire was about level with the bottom of the rear left tire)... it straightened out just fine. Drove it home; bed lines up equally on both sides.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Macrobb Ouch. Sounds like you need a vacation bud!

I managed to shoehorn mine in the garage... Barely.

Pulled what was left of the ratty insulation off the underside of the hood. Added another cab ground. Cleaned up the battery terminals. Adjusted the rear brakes.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temp peaked at a sunny 17F, so I removed the leaky coolant overflow reservoir (hole melted in it near the top), learned how to plastic-weld with a heat gun and soldering iron and pieces from a scrap windshield washer tank, and put it back in :) Was tempted to see how it'd start without the block heater but decided to leave well enough alone.

86F350ken

Reaction score
I managed to shoehorn mine in the garage... Barely.
Pulled what was left of the ratty insulation off the underside of the hood.

Sweet truck! Love the graphics!
On pulling off the ratty insulation ..... do you plan to replace it with anything? My insulation pad is falling apart.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mid 20s here in Texas which is rare, pulled the fan off and the fan shroud so I have a working heater, nice little cold start for y’all

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
On pulling off the ratty insulation ..... do you plan to replace it with anything? My insulation pad is falling apart.
I usually take them off and leave them off. Lol
Maybe one day I'll use some peal and stick insulation.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

No plans to replace it. Maybe if I go all out and dynamat the interior and have leftover. None of my other trucks have it and I was tired of it flaking and falling all over me while working on it lol. I'm pretty sure its just for sound anyway.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its actually designed with a few things in mind other than sound deadening, in the event of an engine fire it is supposed to detach from the hood and choke the fire out, have I ever seen this actually stop a fire? Heck no! Its also supposed to keep heat off the paint on our hoods but I think where you park your truck has more of effect than that insulation, none of our trucks have it anymore!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mostly sound.
Technically, they're designed with the plastic clips in such a way that if you have a underhood fire, it's supposed to drop down and smother it.
Most I have seen are soaked in oils anyways. Lol

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its also supposed to keep heat off the paint on our hoods but I think where you park your truck has more of effect than that insulation, none of our trucks have it anymore!

I had to repaint the hood anyway so I'm not sure it helped there either lol! Of course I think the Texas sun might have a negative impact on that too!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I started it last night and let it run a while, first time in a few weeks.
Because of the weeks of sustained sub-zero temps, I wanted to make sure it hadn't gelled since it still has #2 w/ PS and hasn't been driven much.
She cranks a little slow in -20°F, might be due for batteries after 7 years. LOL

pafixitman

Reaction score
Used mine on Sunday to grab some bath vanities for one of Erica's flips. One hour on the block heater and one cycle of the plugs she fired off after sitting all week. I think is was around 18* Sunday. On Monday with one hour on the block heater and a slightly stiff ignition switch she just cranked. Fuel is fresh and has a good dose of Howes. After running Sunday I did not expect any issues however at 10am it was only about 10* outside. I'll put the batteries on a charger and try again.

I will say that an injector knock sounds REALLY bad on a very cold motor!

Might need to talk to @laserjock and see if Big Red will exit it's warm confines long enough to allow the nose of mine in to swap injectors and returns. Call me a wimp but I am not changing them in single digit wind chill in my driveway!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online