So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let her stretch her legs this morning. I've been driving my winter beater but we're up to about 40 today so no snow means no fresh road salt.

Really reminded me how bad the vacuum leak is at the booster and how bad my steering wander is!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old 74 highboy & 20' trailer hauled huge load of scrap to salvage yard. 14,200lbs on the scale loaded.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used the old brown monster as my wife calls the truck to scrap about 300 lbs of scrap today here's a pic hauled about 600 lbs yesterday with the Gremlins still there

You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ripped the exhaust off our burned down 6.0l cut cat and muffler off it and stuck it own with some scrap on my idi. Much deeper tone and no more jake brake sound on decel. Egts down by 150*

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Picked up my “new” highly neglected and hick “repaired” (they painted over the microwave...) travel trailer.

The truck (6.9 NA, C6) feels it for sure but I just have to mash the pedal a little more. It’s about 4000lbs.

Because of the awful tires and no safety chains (forgot to buy a set before going) I only hit about 40mph tops on a very lightly trafficed US highway (55 zone).

I am parked at a Walmart because it was getting totally dark and I don’t have 7 way on my truck yet, plus I want to get the new trailer tires mounted in the morning. I have only 7 more miles to go to park it at a relatives house for a couple months while I work on it while living in it, but still. I’m not in that big of a hurry to drive it through the city at night with no lights. I was on a country highway before. About 20x the traffic the rest of the way.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
My truck has finally been getting the love it needs, the work that was needed is what drove me to joining this forum in fact.

Well after swapping the injectors, IP and pyrometer the exhaust was cut just before the muffler. Eliminating the restrictive muffler and the 4 bends between muffler and ugly oversize tip, each collapsed to pergaps 1/2 the original OD, kept the EGTs to a reasonable level.

The exhause cut did not however keep sound to a reasonable level! I have a home made flatbed and the exhaust clapping between the pavement and steel drum of a bed was great for some laughs, great for keeping people out of my blind spot but it was just not something I wanted to hear all the time. I also need to get the vehicle inspected again soon and hate getting lip at the inspection station!

My solution was a tractor muffler from TSC. It cost $36 and the hardest part was removing the exhuast pipe for fit up and welding.

I will probably weld a 90 on it but it sounda great now! The fact that it dumps out onto my rear axle means it swirls the exhaust before exiting the back of the truck. When people tailgate me and I mash the go lever it literally blankets an entire car width behind me hahaha I hate ****** drivers!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Too bad I don't have any pictures.

Last Sunday, I was working on an '86 F-250 that I'm putting another motor in for a guy. Anyway, I'm finishing it up, installing the drivelines... and find that the rear driveline will /not/ work. The transfer case that came with the rig had a fixed output yoke... Not convinced it was the one for that truck...
Anyway, I call up the owner to see if he has another driveline I can use. He does, so I drive over that way.
After a few stops and like 15 miles of driving, I'm about 2 miles away from his place. I turn off the highway onto a 45MPH 2-lane country road, and notice that my digital oil pressure gauge has gone to 0.
That's odd...
My factory oil pressure gauge(switch) is still reading "OK"...
I slow down a bit, just take it easy and continue driving, looking for a place to pull off. \
I don't find anything, due to all the snow having been piled into berms on both sides, so I keep going, around 35MPH. I'm listening, and the truck sounds fine... Keep going.
My factory oil pressure gauge starts jumping around and slowly drops to "low". ****
I still don't have any place to turn off, but I'm really close now. Maby a quarter mile of flat, and a half downhill. I just keep going, push the clutch in and coast down the hill. Finally make the guy's driveway(after sliding past it and having to back up), pull in and shut her off.
I was kind of concerned about the oil pressure, but I didn't hear the lifters start clattering, so I figured it was probably electrical.
It wasn't.
Turns out, the 1/4" brass nipple I had attached to the turbo factory gauge sender spot literally cracked, right at the threads. And proceeded to pump out all my oil all over the engine, transmission and everything behind me.
Fortunately, this guy was understanding(having a lot of Fords himself), and got me 2 gallons of oil to get me back on the road. I removed the broken off nipple, shoved the factory sender back in it's spot, and continued on my way... slowly dripping oily snow as I went.

Sunday night, I went to my Dad's place for Christmas. So, after the earlier fiasco, I headed off, stopped at Autozone to get a new belt (the old one had gotten soaked with enough that it was squeaking a lot), installed it in the parking lot and drove off. Made it there and back without issue.

Tuesday, my last day off, I managed to get to the car wash, and after finding out that the credit card machines were broken(and so was the change machine), I finally got a roll of quarters and washed most of the oily junk off.

Wednesday, I decided I had to haul a friends GMC Jimmy to my Dad's place, an hour away.
Only problem is, we have had quite a bit of snow, though some of it had melted. By Friday, we were supposed to be getting another foot.
Wednesday night at around 4PM(dark), I unearth my 2-axle car hauler, get it hooked up to the '93, swear at the left turn signal wiring not working, and fix it.
Haul on over to where I was picking up the Jimmy, get the truck and trailer in position(sliding a bit, even with 4x4).
We couldn't get it out of park due to the battery being disconnected and the hood latch cable broken(**** Chevy), so we hooked it up to the backhoe on the property. Literally drag it right to the back of the trailer in park, through the snow.
We did manage to get it un-jammed, reconnected and out of park finally, so we didn't have to drag it up the trailer deck(tilt trailer), but even so, it took pulling with a chain and the backhoe around a steel "corner" on the trailer. Finally got it loaded... got out of there at like 7:45PM.
Got home around 8, and had to get it turned around. Unfortunately, the only area I could turn around in that was plowed was downhill a bit... and I got stuck. Badly.
I had to borrow the big 4x4 tractor(all chained up) and it /barely/ managed to drag me and the trailer out of the snow and back on to the flat.
After only a few minutes of cursing and shoving the back end of the trailer off the road in multiple spots, I finally got it close enough to my house that I parked it and went to sleep for the night... at like 10PM. (I try to be in bed at 8 on weeknights).

Over night, it started to snow.

Thursday, 5:45AM saw me pulling this mess to work. One steep hill where I turn from a country road onto the highway at the bottom I basically just slid down the hill at like 15MPH... just sliding. Fortunately, I was able to time it such that there was no cars and just /go/. Got to work safely.
10AM, I took off early to get this dealt with before dark. Drove it to my Dad's place with one other stop along the way; except for the stop, I was in 2wd the whole way, with the hubs unlocked.
I had to keep the hubs unlocked whenever possible, because the right front U-joint was disintegrating and bouncing around. Not a good idea to use it when I didn't have to...
Once there, offloading was easy - Chain up the front tires for traction, back up to a tree, hook the jimmy to the tree with a chain, and pull out from under it.
Got it done, headed back, and was back in town around 2:30PM.
Got home, pulled in, stopped... and got stuck. No way of turning the trailer around, not with the 4+inches of snow that had fallen that day.
Spent the evening plowing things out, and then pushing the trailer where it belonged with the tractor.

Friday, I went to work at 5:45, with only a couple more inches of snow since the previous night. Got there OK, and after work, I came home to plow again. Plowed a bit, had dinner, and at 7 decided I needed to replace that U-joint.

Turns out that with the right tools and parts(and a dry place to work), I can replace a wheel U-joint and axle shaft seal in 2 hours. I was done by 9PM, and went to bed.

So, yeah... I've had a fun week... but my '93 just keeps on trucking. Pretty impressed over all - with the RD2-110(and a full glow plug cycle) it fires within 2 revolutions, even at 20F.
The only 'interesting' thing is that you have to be /really/ careful in the snow - in 2wd especially, it has enough torque to spin the tires without even trying. Even in 4x4, it's still pretty easy to spin them off idle. And I pretty much have to upshift early at like 2K, when the (ever increasing) torque just breaks the tires loose as it accelerates.

edit:
Added another story

Last edited:

86F350ken

Reaction score
Today I went to the junk yard and snagged a 3G alternator, alternator harness, a couple mega fuse/holders, random interior screws, a bug guard, a pillar mount spotlight and a couple battery hold downs.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Macrobb, did you have the oil fitting tee'd?
Or that was just a bushing?
People have said if you tee it and run the factory sender, it's too much weight on it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Macrobb, did you have the oil fitting tee'd?
Or that was just a bushing?
People have said if you tee it and run the factory sender, it's too much weight on it.

Yeah, I tee'd it.. But my aftermarket sender was much heavier than the stock on(the stock one being a switch).

The brass nipple broke at the outside end(was using a stainless tee), not the end going into the cast oil supply block.
I'll probably do something similar again, but use a stainless nipple instead, and I might just run a line and use a mechanical guage instead.

Thing is, it's worked for oh... 7 months? I'm guessing vibration plus maby stress from the stainless tee squishing the brass nipple; it literally broke right at the thread sticking out of the tee.

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a hot start problem just before Christmas and figured it was time for a new IP but where to find one right at Xmas for a 7.3 IDI?

Enter Facebook. I found a guy about 2 hours away with a new reman unit that was a few years old but still in the bag and included a set of injectors. So the wife and I went for a drive and retrieved the goodies.

Couldn't get my truck started to go work somewhere warm (it's -22C), so with no choice I bundled up and headed outside.

After viewing a couple YouTube videos I managed to extract the IP and the rotor fell right out. I guess it was on the path to total destruction.

Removed the injectors with a 1" impact socket and had to use a 2' breaker bar to remove a couple of them. Cleaned the carbon out of the bores with a 3/4" fitting brush (plumber), and vacuumed out the crud.

Got the injectors in and the IP bolted down after much cursing at the 3 - 12 point bolts connecting to the gear. What a pain.

Tightened everything down and tried and tried and tried but could not get any fuel to the injectors - nothing. So after more research and frustration and cranking, I packed it in and had it towed into town to the Ford dealer.

The dealer first condemned the IP then it was OK.?, then I needed a new cold start solenoid (big deal) but the truck was running!

So it wouldn't idle but I could drive it home, which I did. Plugged it in and left it for the night.

Next morning it would Not start. So I took the top off the IP and worked the lever connected to the fuel shutoff solenoid, bolted it back together and it ran - sort of.

So I adjusted the timing until it was stable and put the snowplow on. After doing my driveway (over 1 km), and a neighbours drive it was stalling really bad and would not start again.

So I had to hump it home through the bush in about a foot or so of snow with my dog for about 4 kms. Rounded up some tools and my kid and fired up my farm truck (without plates) and headed out.

Got back to the dead plow truck and tried the starter and it sputtered a few times but no go. I figured it had to be that damn solenoid again, so off with the top of the IP, wiggle the lever and put it back on. So it sputtered a few times and it starts, but this time it goes to FULL THROTTLE! and will Not shutoff.

It was quite the scene - engine screaming, black smoke, radiator bursting, me ripping fuel lines off in the engine bay getting covered with fuel and inhaling whatever, with my son standing there terrified with his hands over his ears, then my customer's mom rolls up and asks if my truck is on fire and if so we should pull it the hell away from the house and powerlines. I did manage to undo the fuel fitting at the water filter and the engine slowed before it stopped - it's not seized but I'm pretty sure it's trashed.

So this week I'm doing an engine swap. Hope everyone's Christmas was better than mine. Happy New Year Y'all.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Damn dude.
Well, you will be the first first-hand experience I've heard of with putting the top cover on wrong, having the engine runaway.
Everybody talks about it, but never heard a real story. Lol