So what did you do with your truck today?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunday I adjusted the brakes. Today I came out of the bank and the drivers side rear brake was locked up. I could roll backwards fine, but I had to be on pavement in first and push it to go forward. I tried on the slush in the parking lot but almost slid into the car next to me.

I finally got going and it loosened a little. It's still dragging. I'll have to check it out tonight.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the long weekend I got some Christmas presents installed :)
I replaced the front door speakers with some 6-1/2in Pioneer 3-ways and finally tore the no longer functioning stock stereo out and put in a bluetooth Pioneer deck. At first no power... at all. The #11 fuse that is labeled for the radio was good. I had power to the red wire, but not to the yellow. Hmmm... Ends up the yellow wire (constant power) goes to the #8 fuse. Well after replacing that all is well!
Also installed a backup camera right above the license plate and rear view mirror with the display built in. Still need some trouble shooting time on this. It should power on when I put the truck in reverse through the backup light wire off the transmission. I think it is black with orange stripe, but I am not getting any power from the backup circuit. Will figure this out soon!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the long weekend I got some Christmas presents installed :)
I replaced the front door speakers with some 6-1/2in Pioneer 3-ways and finally tore the no longer functioning stock stereo out and put in a bluetooth Pioneer deck. At first no power... at all. The #11 fuse that is labeled for the radio was good. I had power to the red wire, but not to the yellow. Hmmm... Ends up the yellow wire (constant power) goes to the #8 fuse. Well after replacing that all is well!
Also installed a backup camera right above the license plate and rear view mirror with the display built in. Still need some trouble shooting time on this. It should power on when I put the truck in reverse through the backup light wire off the transmission. I think it is black with orange stripe, but I am not getting any power from the backup circuit. Will figure this out soon!

I was in Best Buy the other day and spotted one of those mirrors. I wish I would have asked for one for Christmas!
I could really use one for backing out of these compact crowded shopping centers.
I may just have to go grab one anyway.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Ends up the yellow wire (constant power) goes to the #8 fuse. Well after replacing that all is well!

Be careful here. The #8 fuse also runs all the small in-cab lights (courtesy, map, dome) and the keep-alive power to the PSOM. It is fused for 15 amps although a relatively small gauge wire. A typical DEH-xxxx Pioneer is rated to draw up to 10 amps at max output.

A previous owner had problems with the Pioneer deck he'd installed (the twist/tape connections didn't help) and apparently kept blowing the fuse. So the ******* put a bigger one in. He melted the LG/Y wire insulation in the harness in many places. THAT was fun to fix.

I would recommend that you feed the stereo's yellow lead from the power to the cigarette lighter socket in the ashtray. It's a separate 15 (maybe 20) amp circuit that has nothing else on it.
------------

Meanwhile, today I changed the very gross oil in the ZF-5 and BW1356 transfer case with fresh Mercon V. The stuff that came out of the ZF was nearly black, possibly never changed, and the t-case was very dark brown and didn't even smell like ATF (nor like gear oil). I really hate finding stuff like this. The t-case may have had engine oil in it, and the drain plug had "dents" in its recess suggesting one previous change in the displayed 186k miles (which may be altered).

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in Best Buy the other day and spotted one of those mirrors. I wish I would have asked for one for Christmas!
I could really use one for backing out of these compact crowded shopping centers.

Should be cool, the wife found it on sale at Car Toys.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful here. The #8 fuse also runs all the small in-cab lights (courtesy, map, dome) and the keep-alive power to the PSOM. It is fused for 15 amps although a relatively small gauge wire. A typical DEH-xxxx Pioneer is rated to draw up to 10 amps at max output.

A previous owner had problems with the Pioneer deck he'd installed (the twist/tape connections didn't help) and apparently kept blowing the fuse. So the ******* put a bigger one in. He melted the LG/Y wire insulation in the harness in many places. THAT was fun to fix.

I would recommend that you feed the stereo's yellow lead from the power to the cigarette lighter socket in the ashtray. It's a separate 15 (maybe 20) amp circuit that has nothing else on it.
------------

Meanwhile, today I changed the very gross oil in the ZF-5 and BW1356 transfer case with fresh Mercon V. The stuff that came out of the ZF was nearly black, possibly never changed, and the t-case was very dark brown and didn't even smell like ATF (nor like gear oil). I really hate finding stuff like this. The t-case may have had engine oil in it, and the drain plug had "dents" in its recess suggesting one previous change in the displayed 186k miles (which may be altered).

Thanks for the warning on that Charles. I may just change that up, well I will watch for the fuse to blow first. It is a 15A in there.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Backup cameras are really nice. Dad's 16 F-150 and my 07 Infiniti both have one. Makes it nice, especially being inside a big box with tinted windows. I wouldn't mind something like this for the Excursion. but might go with an aftermarket head unit with a screen instead of the rear view mirror. My mirror has the auto-tint feature and don't want to loose that.

Wildman7.3IDI

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning on that Charles. I may just change that up, well I will watch for the fuse to blow first. It is a 15A in there.

Just from experience, sometimes the fuse only blows after the damage is done...js

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

This is why if you buy an Alpine deck (and actually read the installation instructions) it tells you it requires a dedicated fused 10awg constant power wire run directly from the battery.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mirror has the auto-tint feature and don't want to loose that.

I had that in my other truck. It was nice when it worked but I have a headache rack and it only worked half of the time. The headache rack in this truck is more open though so I'm strongly considering trying it again.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Added some basically new factory tow mirrors to my international west coast mirrors I already had. It will mount a lot nicer to the big mirrors then it did the little stock things like on my 150 beside it. Just gotta run to my dad's today and get some sharp drill bits to make the hole to connect the two together so the ih mirrors can be swung in and out. That factory metal on the ford tow mirrors is either impossible to drill or all of the drill bits my grandfather had out here need pitched.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's why I don't take the old beast to those kind of places.... Home depot's parking lot is bad enough!! Build a hardware store make it a small parking lot so the tree huggers can park their Toyota Prius there... Seems logical to me.

BTW... Didn't do anything with the truck but buy parts to get her on the road again..

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Didn't wanna leave the old factory mount with two empty screw holes so I drilled it out and made a brace on both sides to still use it and not have an ugly hole there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony