So what did you do with your truck today?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a 5 hour drive to get a parts truck. It wouldn't have taken that long, except that he lived about 20 miles into the sand hills in Nebraska. At least 18 of those miles weren't paved so the road was rough to say the least. I drove up there at a max of 50 MPH on the sand road and that was really too fast. With the load on the trailer, I kept it down 35-40 MPH. There was several times that I was down to about 25MPH. The return trip took about 5 1/2 hours which wasn't too bad considering everything.
Now, without farther ado, I introduce Scrappy. She's a 1991 F250 that had a ZF5. There's not a lot left, but there's still enough parts to make the drive worth it. The 7.3 turns about 1/4 turn so it's not locked up. I told the guy, worst case is a broken rod. Best case is that some water got into a cylinder and made rust. If the worst happens, I still have a short block that needs heads sitting in my garage.
Is that a "pod" of bigfoot in the third picture? I guess you'd call a group of bigfoot a "pod"....... sounds good, I guess....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nope. Just some brush on the side of of a hill, some yucca plants, and grass. I did see 5 antelope running alongside the road at one point though. They weren't running very hard since I passed them while I was doing 35MPH. They can run A LOT faster than that.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I wish I had done that to my crew cab when I had the interior out. Maybe someday.
About how much did all that sound pad run you?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for new carpet, headliner and seat belts
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Where did you get all that sound pad? Is there any tricks to installing it that you could impart to a newb?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Dynamat, think the box has 9 sheets, but pricy. Got the first box off E-Bay and bought a 2nd box at Summit Racing. It`s 60 miles from me.
One was cheaper by a bit, think it was Summit at the time.
Then discovered East Wood had same stuff, for $92. It`s in reno also. Think this was when Trump was still in. Now it it is $159, tks Joe.

Same stuff and 1/8 in thick, peal off paper backing and stick to floor, and roll in with the roller recommended. make sure it sticks with no air pockets. You will need to cut pieces to fit various contours.
Be sure floor is clean, or what ever you are covering. I wiped it down with Wax and Grease remover.

On the truck floors Ford stuck down so tar pads. I an air chisel (Gasket remover) HF air tool to remove it.
Did back of cab and inside doors.
Once new carpet was in, really made a difference in noise level.

Goat

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Dynamat, think the box has 9 sheets, but pricy. Got the first box off E-Bay and bought a 2nd box at Summit Racing. It`s 60 miles from me.
One was cheaper by a bit, think it was Summit at the time.
Then discovered East Wood had same stuff, for $92. It`s in reno also. Think this was when Trump was still in. Now it it is $159, tks Joe.

Same stuff and 1/8 in thick, peal off paper backing and stick to floor, and roll in with the roller recommended. make sure it sticks with no air pockets. You will need to cut pieces to fit various contours.
Be sure floor is clean, or what ever you are covering. I wiped it down with Wax and Grease remover.

On the truck floors Ford stuck down so tar pads. I an air chisel (Gasket remover) HF air tool to remove it.
Did back of cab and inside doors.
Once new carpet was in, really made a difference in noise level.

Goat
Sounds like just a bit of time and labor. I'm wanting to replace my headliner and carpeting, can't get the dog hair out of the carpet and I don't have a dog.
Cutting down on the noise level would be the biggest benefit. I can barely hear anyone talking to me when the engine is running, plus the transmission is in acoustical competition with it. Thanks.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like just a bit of time and labor. I'm wanting to replace my headliner and carpeting, can't get the dog hair out of the carpet and I don't have a dog.
Cutting down on the noise level would be the biggest benefit. I can barely hear anyone talking to me when the engine is running, plus the transmission is in acoustical competition with it. Thanks.
Something else that will made a big difference, is replacing the Window Channels and window wipes. That was the first thing I did, Then replaced the the Door Seals.
There are lots of brands of seals, think they all are made in China, but don`t really know.
One think I had a problem with is they wouldn`t compress in, and the door would not fit flush.
The doors have been hanging on this old 86 for 38 years, and might be an alignment issue...IDK.
really need to take off the fender to get to the Bolts where it bolts to the body.

I was at PNP and came across a 2003 or 04 that is one of those door and a half trucks.
Door seal wasn`t too bad, so removed both sides. It`s way longer than you need, so found center on the seal, placed it at the top of the door opening and worked my way around the Pinch Weld. At the bottom where the ends over lap, cut it off where you want it. I cut it off about the center of the seat instead of where you get in and out.

These seemed to work pretty good, so then ordered a new set for an 04. But the new ones, they did an up grade. The rubber bulb the the door squishes, on open, new one`s is a center wall, so 2 chambers, guess to make it fit tighter....and so door on the side with new one sticks out a bit. ARRRRG.
Even so, the trucks is quite a bit quieter.

I bought new Door Panels from Bronco Grave Yard and the insulation pads to glue to the back side also. used 3M spray stickum. Ended up cutting it is sections to fit properly.

I did the Pass side, still need to do the drives panel. I ended up not using the new panels, found one at PNP in fair condition.
Took it to the local auto paint supply shop. They have a computer program set up, they took a picture of the back side (wasn`t faded) and it came up with the color "Aztec Red", and will put it into a spray can for you.
Later found out it is "Canyon Red".
will have to go through the steps of prep work, and the color came out pretty darn close.
Even took off the long metal strip across the top of windshield that was showing it`s age and a rusty tinge. Cleaned, sanded and gave it 4 coats. WOW.

Installed new carpet, and was another sound improvement. Bought it off Rock Auto.

Another thought with sounds, is the Cab Mounts. 38 years and 347K miles, know the rubber is probably long gone. Might be metal on metal, and the vibrations from everything come into the Cab. Been thinking of biting the Bullet and buy the Silicone Bushings, pricy but might be worth it.

Goat

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought new Door Panels from Bronco Grave Yard
You have the same year truck as mine. You don't have a picture posted, however. Is yours a crew cab? I've had zero luck finding door panels for the rear doors. I'm to the point of buying a 3D printer and seeing what kind of results I get.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this afternoon wasn't good for my truck collection. We had a nasty hail storm come through a little after 4 and took it took out all of the storm windows on the west side of the house and a storage building. Broke the windshield in 12 vehicles 3 of which are our drivers.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7