So what did you do with your truck today?

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the salvage yard and found a tailgate to replace the windgate that I had on the truck. I'm threatening to someday get the truck repainted, once I have a spare 10k laying around. Also managed to find a spare tire carrier and no longer have the spare bouncing around in the bed.
One thing I learned while I was prowling the salvage yard, is my trucks bed is not the original to the truck. My first clue should have been mismatched taillights, but I figured the likelihood of two trucks with the same factory paint being in close proximity to one another after who knows how many years was unlikely. No idea when the bed was swapped out. I got the tailgate off a '91 and grabbed the taillight lenses while I was at it. My cab is an '86.
I have the tool wrap blocking the license plate because my hand model was on break.

Attachments

• 20231203_145151.jpg
    20231203_145151.jpg
    654.4 KB · Views: 19

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our first snow of the year and forecasters are calling for between 1" and 12" of snow in this part of Maine. Usually hooking up the plow is a PITA. It's called a minute mount (Fisher Plow) but almost always the plow tangs don't line up with the frame on the truck. It's critical that both the plow and the truck be on the same plane - like a concrete floor or pavement - but even then one pin may line up while the other is an inch too high or low. Hydraulic jacks, hammers, and rough language, tears of frustration helps. This year however it went perfectly. I measured the distance from the floor to the holes for the pins in the truck frame and set the plow at the same height. I drove right into it, pushed the headgear back towards the truck and both pins engaged. I did notice that one of the hydraulic lines to the angle ram is down to braided stainless... let's hope it lasts until I replace the pair.
One trick I learned from a friend is to apply Fluid Film to the pins, mounting frame and pivot points - it makes hooking and unhooking easier.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to the salvage yard and found a tailgate to replace the windgate that I had on the truck. I'm threatening to someday get the truck repainted, once I have a spare 10k laying around. Also managed to find a spare tire carrier and no longer have the spare bouncing around in the bed.
One thing I learned while I was prowling the salvage yard, is my trucks bed is not the original to the truck. My first clue should have been mismatched taillights, but I figured the likelihood of two trucks with the same factory paint being in close proximity to one another after who knows how many years was unlikely. No idea when the bed was swapped out. I got the tailgate off a '91 and grabbed the taillight lenses while I was at it. My cab is an '86.
I have the tool wrap blocking the license plate because my hand model was on break.
Love the tailgate, it just screams........."CLASS!!!"

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you've got a bull and brick tail lights. I always liked the bull lights better.
You no doubt noticed the two different lenses still mounted there. I like the bullnose lenses too. They don't follow the contour of the bed like the bricknose do, but you can't see that from where I sit.
Love the tailgate, it just screams........."CLASS!!!"
I think the only reason that tailgate was still there was the linkage was rusted and the handle was broken. I had PB blaster with me and got it freed up enough to remove it.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a set of these Tail Lights, the Reverse wraps around to the side. really give you more light at night. Especially if you throw in a set of LED Bulbs.
I did a quick search and this came up.

I grabbed a few set from PNP for my 86. like hem better as they are smoother than the 86.

Goat

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Umm.... Tightening the fittings on the fuel lift pump, right? :joker:

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bobcat with a pokey bit...

You must be registered for see images

Got the old heart...

Out of old girl, that left a hole to be pluged with the other one...

The other one has been dressed, turbos oiled, lifters oiled and readied to fire. Just going to need a new clutch fork and bearing before it can go in.