So what did you do with your truck today?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Picked up a Snap On Counselor scope that came with a ST 1480 Lummy Mag II diesel (Gasser) timing machine for $100. Both were in really nice shape, guy said he hardly used them.(Guessing he was right.) One of the only MT 1480's I have seen complete with the cables and the glow plug adaptor for a Ford 6.9/7.3 IDI. Both systems powered up so I will test the MT 1480 down the road. I am curious if the Lummy and the Tach and Time will both say the timing is "on" based on what I set it to with the Tach and Time. I know many suggest pulse is a better way to time, I believe it too. Just more of a curiosity thing, than I think it is better to do it lummy style.

A while back I also picked up a cheap MT 480 (Analog version) and a MT 257 (Simliar idea to the Garret or Ferret boxes, uses the lummy glow plug and has a timing light loop.) for cheap. If I have time I will break those out to see how they compare to the ST 1480.

I will attempt to do a couple YouTube videos on the ST 1480 and the Tach and Time. If time permits, I will do the other two as well.

The glow plug adapters are the PITA to find, interested in getting a couple more. If you have one you want to get rid of let me know how much you want for it. I wish Snap On would not of cancelled those, made a lot of their expensive meters paper weights when ti comes to diesels. (Also probably why so many shops do not have an IDI timing meter.) Perhaps someone will see a market and make these again!

Also if anyone knows the best chemical to clean one out the glow plug adaptor, let me know. I do not want to damage it, but I can see some soot up in the glow plug adaptor window. Just do not know what the clear piece is made of. (Glass, plexi glass, crystal, etc. etc.) So I don't want to damage it with brake cleaner if plexi or plastic.)

I will use the engine scope on my son's 67 Galaxie when we finish it up later this summer. To see if the ignition system is working as it should!

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
makes me a little happy...
in pants!
dont ever paint that thing, it rocks!

I honestly don't want to, but it needs it. It's starting to rust and I have to do something to treat it before it gets bad. I'm in the salt belt so I can't get away with leaving it alone :(

JAKRANCH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow leave the site alone for a couple of days and its unrecognizable! Been real busy took a look in the bed at the remnants of a weeks worth of tasks and figured it was worth a pic or two.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Last Friday, I had to renew the tags on my Blue Truck and my 1983 Gold Wing. I decided to go ahead and register the Ex Wife while I was there. I got the title back in the mail today, so now it's officially mine. Since it took me until the age of 49 to officially have an Ex Wife, I guess that I'm doing better than most men out there.:Thumbs Up

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since my turbo install I've been fighting issues with the slip connection on the up pipe. I've cleaned and sealed it three times with copper rtv, but every time I get into a hard pull it blows the rtv out, boost and power drop and egt goes way up. I'm hoping this is a permanent fix. I was looking for a way to shim the connection to tighten it back up and noticed a standard aeresol can is almost exactly the same size, so I sliced a ring about 3/4" long from an empty brake cleaner can. It was a little too big to fit up inside the upper section, so I cut and overlapped the ends. I coated the male end of the Y adapter with Walker Acousti Seal and tapped it up inside the upper pipe with a plastic mallet. It's a pretty snug fit so I'm hopeful this will resolve the issue.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since my turbo install I've been fighting issues with the slip connection on the up pipe. I've cleaned and sealed it three times with copper rtv, but every time I get into a hard pull it blows the rtv out, boost and power drop and egt goes way up. I'm hoping this is a permanent fix. I was looking for a way to shim the connection to tighten it back up and noticed a standard aeresol can is almost exactly the same size, so I sliced a ring about 3/4" long from an empty brake cleaner can. It was a little too big to fit up inside the upper section, so I cut and overlapped the ends. I coated the male end of the Y adapter with Walker Acousti Seal and tapped it up inside the upper pipe with a plastic mallet. It's a pretty snug fit so I'm hopeful this will resolve the issue.
That’s a great idea!! And man that slip connection is super worn

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attach files
if that dont work, i make these....

Attachments

• 65101334_146576346517591_2414852126749491200_n.jpg
    65101334_146576346517591_2414852126749491200_n.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 21

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Since I'm not going to Colorado on vacation a week from Sunday, I decided to take the money that I thought I'd spend on fuel and put it towards the Blue Truck. I pulled the trigger on some A/C parts over lunch. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some cool air blowing through the cab without having to wait until January.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I'm not going to Colorado on vacation a week from Sunday, I decided to take the money that I thought I'd spend on fuel and put it towards the Blue Truck. I pulled the trigger on some A/C parts over lunch. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some cool air blowing through the cab without having to wait until January.

It's a hard chunk of money to spend, but it sure is nice when it gets HOT! I very rarely use AC, but when I do, I'm extremely glad to have it!