So what did you do with your truck today?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still a mystery.

I got a bit over 100 for the compression. Stihl says 90 to 110 for their saws...

I'm going to try just removing the carb, getting the carb, and fuel lines all cleaned up. And then some fresh gas.

On edit.

Clamped the throttle open, then cranked it a bunch of times.... And got 125. So it may be a little high, even. But I've seen a bunch of guys saying 120-125 is normal. So I'll go with it.

Got the saw running. It ran a little while, then died, when it got warm.

Looks like I need to figure out a way to keep the throttle open, when I am cranking, to get it started.

Going to work on fuel delivery, and putting in fresh fuel. as I suggested to myself earlier. But having to keep the throttle open, suggests too much fuel. And that leads to the other things.

Seems to me the carb is badly out of adjustment. And it is spitting out bar oil like there's no tomorrow.

Time for me to stop bothering a truck forum thread with chainsaw business. LOL...

Sounds like the pulse line for the carb to me if it was running good before I have an 029 sthil and if I run ethanol fuel in it once 6 months later I'm replacing that fuel line the pulse line is from the fuel tank to the carb they are about 20 bucks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Oh look corn field. Oh look soy. Oh look cows. Oh now corn. I love the people I've met from the midwest but man, gotta be real creative to keep from going nuts. One town in Iowa they enjoyed tailgating in the walmart parking lot watching people come and go. Thrilling.
First of all, if you think people watching at Wal-Mart is boring, you haven't seen any of the "People of Wal-Mart" videos on You Tube. Second of all, you have to have hobbies such as...

You must be registered for see images attach

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the chainsaw working. Compression was 125+ cold or hot. Carb was not clogged, nor lines, etc. Well, cleaning them probably helped. Ended up just being WAY out of adjustment. The last guy apparently only has a hammer and thinks everything is a nail. LOL Done. Time to move on, back to trucks! :D

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDIBRONCO, you got it. There is actually plenty to keep one busy around here, even without much for hills. Looks like a good hunt. I spend lots of time in the fall chasing upland birds with my GSP. Are those sharpies on the left? I always thought of sharpies as little flying livers but I make sure we eat what we hunt so I would gag them down. Then I made fajitas with them and now I can’t wait to get some more.

Also a gratuitous shot of my dog and quarry.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Are those sharpies on the left?
No those are Bobwhite quail. That was the best upland game hunt that I'd been on since high school. all but the first field that we hit that day was on private property. Where I live, we have the largest amount of Walk-In hunting in the state. As you also know, hunting means big money these days so the state always wants the money from hunters coming in from other states. That means that even in the bad (drought/low bird numbers) years, the advertising didn't slow down any. Two years later, I was talking to a guy who's partial owner of a house here (he's the one that I see there most of the time doing upkeep so I consider it to be his). We were talking about the low bird numbers and the high numbers of out of state hunters. He told me that he sat in one spot along a dirt road and watched the hunters on one small piece of Walk-In hunting ground. He said that he saw a group walk through the field, then another did the same as soon as the first left, and a third group did the exact same thing. All of this combines to make VERY educated birds. Most of the time you can walk into one end of a field and the pheasants will fly 300-400 yards in front of you by the time that you walk 100 feet. I don't mind a lot of walking when I actually get to shoot at birds. The way it is right now, I'm so burned out from walking for miles and not getting one shot that I rarely even try to go pheasant hunting. Anymore, the best time to hunt pheasants is in January, well after all of the "big money" hunters are long gone. Deer hunting is even worse because people pay BIG money to lease land for their private hunting. It's hard to find people who will let you hunt on their land because of all of the leased land.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I used the tailgate as a workbench.

Worked on a chainsaw.

Can't figger it out.

I got strong spark. I got air. And gas or no gas, she won't even start with a squirt of ether.
Sometimes that exhaust muffler thingy cant remember the technical term, needs cleaned or it wont start. Pull it off, clean it, toss it back in.

Spark arrestor. Glad you got it running.

rhythim

Reaction score
Finally got around to welding up the holes in the bed rails and spraying the Raptor Liner in the bed. Have always been pleased with this stuff. Hard to beat for a couple hundred bucks.

I considered buying the tintable version and doing it body color, but just the red tint was going to raise the cost nearly $150. Basic black will be just fine, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

bilbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No those are Bobwhite quail. That was the best upland game hunt that I'd been on since high school. all but the first field that we hit that day was on private property. Where I live, we have the largest amount of Walk-In hunting in the state. As you also know, hunting means big money these days so the state always wants the money from hunters coming in from other states. That means that even in the bad (drought/low bird numbers) years, the advertising didn't slow down any. Two years later, I was talking to a guy who's partial owner of a house here (he's the one that I see there most of the time doing upkeep so I consider it to be his). We were talking about the low bird numbers and the high numbers of out of state hunters. He told me that he sat in one spot along a dirt road and watched the hunters on one small piece of Walk-In hunting ground. He said that he saw a group walk through the field, then another did the same as soon as the first left, and a third group did the exact same thing. All of this combines to make VERY educated birds. Most of the time you can walk into one end of a field and the pheasants will fly 300-400 yards in front of you by the time that you walk 100 feet. I don't mind a lot of walking when I actually get to shoot at birds. The way it is right now, I'm so burned out from walking for miles and not getting one shot that I rarely even try to go pheasant hunting. Anymore, the best time to hunt pheasants is in January, well after all of the "big money" hunters are long gone. Deer hunting is even worse because people pay BIG money to lease land for their private hunting. It's hard to find people who will let you hunt on their land because of all of the leased land.

Cool, I’ve never hunted those. Late season is my favorite time to go. It’s usually not hot so it’s not as taxing on me or the dog, and we usually have the run of the place. It’s fun to try and outsmart the birds. Nothing better than the startled feeling when a big ole rooster explodes through the snow two feet in front of you. Sharpies are fun in late season too as entire coveys flush through the snow. Public land in ND is resident only for the first week so that’s nice.

“Nonresident Opener” can be ridiculous. I got caught in it a few years ago due to misunderstanding what day it opened and have never seen so many inconsiderate people. I can’t imagine why anyone would drive so long for that experience. Everyone was on top of one another. I just drug up and went home. The big money seems tied up in paid access, so no big competition for me. Not hard to spot the wagon trains of high end suburbans/yukons with dog trailers.

I’ve never been a deer hunter, I don’t have the patience. At least upland hunting is constant walking. ND is nutty about deer. A friend told me he has two uncles that haven’t spoken in almost 30 years because of a deer hunting/land access dispute on family land.