So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
After work (and since the boss is gone I didn't even have to ask permission) I pulled my truck in and put the exhaust back on. I welded (sort of) the two places where I cut it in order to get it off of the truck. The welds aren't pretty or even complete (to make it easier to take back off for the put off for now turbo install), but it's more solid than it was before I removed it. Wes had my timing set at 9*. I had retarded it some for the turbo that was supposed to be on it right now. i had advanced it back some, but I must not have advanced it enough. I could roll a pretty good cloud of smoke when stepping on the throttle. So I guess I get to advance it a little bit more. Since I'm planning to pull my pickup box trailer with some ATVs in it a week from tomorrow, I'd better try to get it back to close to where it was. I had not touched the fuel adjustment at all and it wasn't smoking much before.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no mechanic, but I think I found the cause of all the racket that's been coming from my front end lately.

You must be registered for see images attach

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After work (and since the boss is gone I didn't even have to ask permission) I pulled my truck in and put the exhaust back on. I welded (sort of) the two places where I cut it in order to get it off of the truck. The welds aren't pretty or even complete (to make it easier to take back off for the put off for now turbo install), but it's more solid than it was before I removed it. Wes had my timing set at 9*. I had retarded it some for the turbo that was supposed to be on it right now. i had advanced it back some, but I must not have advanced it enough. I could roll a pretty good cloud of smoke when stepping on the throttle. So I guess I get to advance it a little bit more. Since I'm planning to pull my pickup box trailer with some ATVs in it a week from tomorrow, I'd better try to get it back to close to where it was. I had not touched the fuel adjustment at all and it wasn't smoking much before.
So advancing it some will make it not roll coals as much? On my 93 IDIT it will roll pretty good , pulling pretty heavy 18k, Always timing it kind of by ear being have not found anyone around here with a time meter.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no mechanic, but I think I found the cause of all the racket that's been coming from my front end lately.

Same thing happened to me. Since I'm a welder by trade just welded a 1/4" plate to the bracket and bolted it back in place.

And yes, it makes a racket all right.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So advancing it some will make it not roll coals as much? On my 93 IDIT it will roll pretty good , pulling pretty heavy 18k, Always timing it kind of by ear being have not found anyone around here with a time meter.
It can if the timing is retarded. Remember that N/A engines seem to like their timing more advanced than engines with a turbo do. If you're sure that your air filter isn't dirty, than it wouldn't hurt to try to bump the timing up a little bit. These engines can be timed better by the butt dyno combined with a smoke watch than they can by ear. As the pumps age and the internals wear some, the timing will naturally retard itself. I can't give you a more detailed explanation than that since I'm no pump expert. Maybe Macrobb or Wes could if you wanted one.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well after putting the new tarp on my folding cover (don’t ask [emoji849]) I went out for a little diesel therapy and got rid of some junk out of the garage.

Couple notes here. Etrailer.com is awesome for customer service. I couldn’t find the tarp I needed specifically so I emailed them. They went to the manufacturer, got the correct part number, then added it to the web site with a link for me to order. Can’t beat that and saved me a couple hundred over a full replacement. Anyone who has ever fought a hook down style tarp back on.... go get one of these.

I bought it for sound deadener but I think this is the best use ever for it. Get it started and just roll it into the groove. Never seen anyone do it before so I’m taking credit for this hack. LOL

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service my PSD today, added hot shot. Between new oil and Hot Shot hope that will cure the cold morning loping. Old only had 4100 miles on it which is not real bad. Polished the headlights too.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The loping never really bothered me. Mine would do it on new oil. Could have been the icp sensor as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I took a little road trip to Kearney, NE again. This time there was no unexpected oddball surprises during the trip. I guess even I'm entitled to that once in a while. I did go to Menard's and Wal-Mart so my wallet is quite a bit lighter.:( It's to be expected though. I did take a few pictures. The first one is probably my favorite part of the drive. It's along the weest end of the Harlan County Reservoir in Nebraska. It's really a beautiful lake. The second is out the window while going over the Platte River. The last one is after I got home and my personal QA team jumped into high gear to make sure that everything I bought was up to *****. Half of the team isn't quite as dedicated as the other half is and quit early. I may have to have a little discussion about that someday.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Even though it was a relatively tame trip, it was kind of "Funky". I knew that I was driving northeast, but I didn't think I drove quite that far! It's also possible that this was Long Island, KS.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I drained the oil and filled the pan with 2.5 gallons of old, smelly but clean diesel. In the garage I found four 1-gallon jugs of Valvoline 15W-40 diesel oil, so I decided not to reuse the oil (it's only got about 1000 miles on it). The plan was to let the diesel sit for 24 hrs then drain - but it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Might be dissolving pan sludge for 48 hrs instead :cool

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Cuba is just across the state line in Alabama.It is closer that the Island I was at in 2010 for 6 months TDY@ GTMO.