So what did you do with your truck today?

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the driving and work out any bugs phase. Yesterday I thought to myself, you know I may not have put any TC fluid back in. Sure enough, no fluid. Added the fluid. Apparently the speedo gear liked it dry because within 1 mile of it now having fluid the speedo stopped working.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im in the driving and work out any bugs phase. Yesterday I thought to myself, you know I may not have put any TC fluid back in. Sure enough, no fluid. Added the fluid. Apparently the speedo gear liked it dry because within 1 mile of it now having fluid the speedo stopped working.

That sucks, figures!

I drove Diego to work today because Tank wouldn't start. I'm hoping it's just the alternator and not both batteries.... Maybe I should fix that broken voltage gauge after all? LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found my problem.

Let me preface by saying I've been putting this off because I have group 31 stud post batteries and I need to get the correct connectors for these batteries.... That's my excuse and I'm standing by it!

I knew they were rough but they were worse than I expected. This was the driver's side.

You must be registered for see images attach

Disconnected everything and cleaned it all up. Moved that other wire to the opposite side of the connector to pinch everything together. Still looks like crap but snug.

Truck fired up like new! I did find my spare cables (actually for Diego) and swapped them on. Should be good to go for now. I'll stop beating around the bush and order those connectors for the old cable now.....

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found my problem.

Let me preface by saying I've been putting this off because I have group 31 stud post batteries and I need to get the correct connectors for these batteries.... That's my excuse and I'm standing by it!

I knew they were rough but they were worse than I expected. This was the driver's side.

Disconnected everything and cleaned it all up. Moved that other wire to the opposite side of the connector to pinch everything together. Still looks like crap but snug.

Truck fired up like new! I did find my spare cables (actually for Diego) and swapped them on. Should be good to go for now. I'll stop beating around the bush and order those connectors for the old cable now.....

Some vice grips and you should be good for another 20K miles. Why do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just install an aftermarket gauge.

I guess I don't need to now that I fixed my issue right? LOL

I don't know what happened. Both this truck and my other the center cap came off the needle and is wedged against the clear plastic. Seems like an odd failure to me. Diego was like that before I got him and Tank's gauge failed a year or so ago. Same exact issue.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple days ago…

Replaced all 3 u joints and carrier bearing. Drives smooth, nothing more than engine vibration, and that’s only at higher revs. Drove to Council Grove and ran errands and whatnot.

Today…

Drove to Manhattan, got a new radiator, and a ZF5, some spare ZF5 parts, and a transfer case with a PTO port from a 7.3 PSD. The motor blew up from NO oil… and I bought the transfer case and ZF5, some other parts.

If anybody wants the transfer case, PM me with an offer. Goes through all the ranges nice.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t start this afternoon to go to Manhattan. Was out of fuel. Damn I’m dumb… Electric lift pumps are nice for repriming. It reprimes so good!

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maine requires a safety inspection once a year. Today I took the truck to a nearby Midas shop I've used often. 4 hours later they called and said the exhaust manifolds leak... both of them apparently. I can't see, smell, or hear any evidence of exhaust leaks. Midas said they can't get one of the exhaust gaskets. They also said a drag link had play and there's fluid on the side of the engine. I park the truck in a garage every night and it leaks maybe one drip per night. Maine requires a failed inspection if the mechanic observes fluids dripping during the actual inspection. This same shop inspects this same truck every year and it passed last year and was driven less than 1,000 miles since that inspection.
Neither the imaginary exhaust leak or one drop of fluid per day falling from the engine is a safety issue. Even though the truck is 30 years old it's in very good shape. The last mechanic that did a state inspection on the truck called it "pristine" underneath.

Maine doesn't require antique vehicles to be inspected but there are limitations on how antique registered vehicles can be used. I have an appointment for an inspection next week at another garage... we'll see how that turns out.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish we had safety inspections here. But then chances are my samurai wouldn't pass... Matter of fact I know it wouldn't.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maine requires a safety inspection once a year. Today I took the truck to a nearby Midas shop I've used often. 4 hours later they called and said the exhaust manifolds leak... both of them apparently. I can't see, smell, or hear any evidence of exhaust leaks. Midas said they can't get one of the exhaust gaskets. They also said a drag link had play and there's fluid on the side of the engine. I park the truck in a garage every night and it leaks maybe one drip per night. Maine requires a failed inspection if the mechanic observes fluids dripping during the actual inspection. This same shop inspects this same truck every year and it passed last year and was driven less than 1,000 miles since that inspection.
Neither the imaginary exhaust leak or one drop of fluid per day falling from the engine is a safety issue. Even though the truck is 30 years old it's in very good shape. The last mechanic that did a state inspection on the truck called it "pristine" underneath.

Maine doesn't require antique vehicles to be inspected but there are limitations on how antique registered vehicles can be used. I have an appointment for an inspection next week at another garage... we'll see how that turns out.
We have an annual inspection here as well. Last year my sons car, a 2006 BMW 325i, passed no issues. At that time 1 of the "Angel eye" halo bulbs was out but it still has a DRL independent of that. The halo's aren't even visible during the day really. But this year they failed it for that. They also failed my Mustang, said both rear side markers were out. Both? I drive that car maybe 3k a year. 1 sure but both? My 2019 Titan XD goes in this month for inspection and the 93' is due as well. If they fail one more vehicle this year, both are running excellent and everything works, I'm finding another shop.