So what did you do with your truck today?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Jesus that's too much for a Vac pump...
Also, bravo on you for being the bigger person and jumping them.

Me on the other hand, I fully reassembled my dud engine today. Fun fact, the intake bolts won't line up if you don't have head gaskets on.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They must have got that pricey pump off e-bay.

IDIBRONCO, sound like me, think I have 4 Pumps I dragged home from PNP. Had good vacuum, so why not. Can`t beat the price.

I noticed the Brake peddle seemed a little lower and stopping didn`t seem the same.
Jacked it up, removed rear wheels and drums. Blew out the Brake shoes etc... with brake clean as well as the drums. Tightened up the adjusters and put it back together.

While I had the wheels off, washed them up, back sides too. Washed out the brake dust, used the spray foam on both sides of the tires. Then waxed both sides of the rims.
Spray painted the Hubs black and reinstalled the wheels.

Then jacked up the fronts and did them also.
Then removed the spare from the in bed mount and did it. I sprayed the whole tire with foam to pretty it up, and hopefully keep it in some what good shape from the elements.

I have Mud Flaps on the rear end, and washed all the winter krap off them. Thought about spraying them with the foam stuff to see if it would darken them like the tires.

Gotta give the old girl some love once in a while.
Now I see starting tues through the next 5 days, crappy weather blowing in again.
My Daughter in Portland , Or. said they have rain today, OH Good, we have 80 deg here.
So much for that.

Last Monday I used my Car trailer to haul my Free Kioti CK30 to the dealer in Carson City, about 30 miles.
I have a 22ft 10KLB trailer I bought close to 4 years ago, used (made in 2015) for $4500.
it looks dang near brand new.
Tying that tractor down, realized it doesn`t have enough tie down places. I need to weld on a row of D Rings on each side like I had on my old trailer.

The old Naturally Exasperated 6.9 pulled her pretty good, but she was defenately working to pull it. I really need to swap in the new IP & Injectors have have been in the shop the past several years. She was puffing along like an old Steam Locomotive.

Sure glad I installed the Fire Stone Air Bags last summer. Really keeps her from squattin in the rear end.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Someone posted a receipt on FB today that they paid $875.31 for a vacuum pump replacement on an 87

Jesus that's too much for a Vac pump...
If people are paying that, I'm DEFINITELY in the wrong line of work.
IDIBRONCO, sound like me, think I have 4 Pumps I dragged home from PNP. Had good vacuum, so why not. Can`t beat the price.
That's right. This is why I keep things like that if I can. More importantly, I know when NOT to get rid of something. Back in 2010, while I was building my Bronco, an older guy asked me if I had any old (car) batteries laying around. I said that I had a couple, but I was going to use them as cores for the ones that were going to go in the Bronco. He told me that he was going to make a run to the scrap yard and I should let him take them in for me. They were paying $11 each for batteries. I told him that they were worth more as cores to me (I knew that core prices were $20 each at that time). Also, knowing him, I would have been lucky to het $9 each from him. Several months later, he asked me again if I had any old batteries laying around that he could have. Ha said that he needed to replace the ones in his 1995 PSD and needed cores (I have no idea why he couldn't have used the ones that were already in the truck and didn't ask). He was squealing about the core charge being $20 each. I reminded him that was why I didn't let him haul mine in to the scrap yard the previous summer and, no, I didn't have any others.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$120.00 an hr labor rate, the Tractor dealer I took it to last Monday charges $135.00. That`s bad enough, but 3.5 hrs to R&R the Pump?

Goat
I agree, the hourly rates can be easy $150hr. And if you don’t or can’t work on the trucks yourself you have to pay to play. I don’t knock a shop whether they are greedy in areas or not. If you are physically capable and have the time there’s more resources than ever here, Facebook and documenting on YouTube to learn how to do it.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$120.00 an hr labor rate, the Tractor dealer I took it to last Monday charges $135.00. That`s bad enough, but 3.5 hrs to R&R the Pump?

Goat
Not a crazy hourly rate anymore, but that was my first question too! How long can it take to replace a vac pump!? Someone put the new kid on that one then he took his lunch break dang.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most shops use a system that tells them how many hours to charge for a given job. If it as a 4hr job and their tech gets it done in 2hrs they still charge the full 4hrs.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I worked today. This trailer has an 18' deck and the wood is stacked (tapered) about 3' high. The friend who owns the trees gad to take his wife to Dodge City, KS to board a plane and, naturally, it was running late so I was there by myself for 2 1/2 hours before he showed up. I thought that he was going to bring his chain saw to help, but then he told me that it's an electric that needs an extension cord so he left it at home. I did all of the cutting. He did most of the branch moving and probably 2/3 of the trailer loading. There was 15-20 MPH head winds on the way home with gusts of up to 30 MPH. I just left her in 4th gear and had no trouble running 60-62 MPH. I do have to say that after I got the trailer tucked away back into it's hiding spot, my truck sure felt like a lightweight hot rod and I had a hard time keeping it under 75 MPH. I also took a picture of why we used to call this guy Mustang Matt when we were in tech school. These are a '66 convertible that he's had since high school and a'82 Cobra.

Attachments

• 102_3998.JPG
    102_3998.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 102_3999.JPG
    102_3999.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 102_3997.JPG
    102_3997.JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 14

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did have to pull my cable out and load it up with PB blaster and stuff to get it spinning smoothly. I think it's actually in my gauge now. After driving for a while at a constant speed itll just drop to zero. But after you come to a complete stop for a moment it'll work when you go again. Pull your whole cable, and pull the actual cable out of the shielding and clean it, lube it, spin it, etc.
If you have already done it, great, but if not, don’t mix a liquid cleaner/lube with dry graphite.

We always clean well with brake cleaner or something that dries without a residue.

Then use dry graphite and re-assemble.

But as JF says, pull everything apart.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my friends is interested in getting an IDI. Spent last night searching with him. Many of these trucks lived some hard lives. And then the rest have bullet lug nut covers. Or 10 lug adaptors and semi wheels.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
@hacked89 @Cubey

Maybe too far, but what about Cubey’s pickup if he didn’t sell it. Heck he might even have the free time to deliver it

I'm still in Arizona for about another 3 weeks, but planning to haul butt (for me) back the ~1200 miles over 10 days or so and have access to it in early June. Might stick around out there in Arkansas for a few months, but not sure yet. Can't easily deliver though.