So what did you do with your truck today?

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait what? smoke?

Yea with some of the guys turning things up too much and just having the coal rolling out the pipe even at idle, and in some cases for the sake of appearance, people around here don't like that.
I've got two years now before another e-test, so once I (finally!) get my pyro in, I might play around a wee bit with the IP.
Emissions testing, as I'm sure we all know, is primarily another cash grab. I'm just glad I didn't have to deal with the OBD-II crap where its an automatic fail if the check engine light is on. My Ranger has a sensor that's been particularly temperamental and only was "fixed" just long enough to get the e-test done.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I fired up my IDI so I could move it and gain access to the outside of the travel trailer and figure out why the furnace decided to die. I need to replace the injectors in this thing. It starts and runs SO well other than the puffs of smoke whenever the bad injectors fire.
I still can't believe that rusted out, massive, heavy as all hell starter cranks the truck over so effortlessly.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove my IDI up and down the road. It smoked like a chimney until it warmed up. Still has a weird tick at higher rpm. Still was fun to hear it run and let it run around a little. Those big group 31's have yet to disappoint me!

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Upside down glass bottom boat.

I have seen that.Well it was an aluminum boat on top a 15 passenger van. I guess he wanted a coversion van. Still had boat registration sticker on it. 10 mexicans in it too smiling like Manual Labor was the president of Mexico.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Track bar bushings today. She has had a bit of a shimmy occasionally that almost went into full on death wobble this past week so it was time. They were indeed original 30 year old bushings and pretty sloppy, now replaced with new poly bushings. The old paint on the track bar was real tough to get off, wouldn't come off in the sand blaster or with a wire wheel, had to go chem on it and it didn't bubble up bit did wire wheel off with some effort after that. Curious what that paint was, real tough stuff. In any event, I have a new steering damper hiding somewhere that will go on soon as well. No desire to play the death wobble game again.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I setup my appointment to get my tranny rebuilt as well as picked up some fresh filters and other maintenance items for the truck. Also found a guy who is willing to part with a 3g alternator for $20. Even if it's just a core, I'll take it. I have one on my main diesel, but would like to convert a second one over.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled Dana 60 front axle from single cab F350, getting ready for swap into extended cab F250.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled Dana 60 front axle from single cab F350, getting ready for swap into extended cab F250.

are you going to scrap this TTB? i have a buddy with a TTB D50 that needs the axle/hub retaining nuts, inner and outter.
if you wanna get rid of them, LMK!
Thanks!

**edited. just pulled my cranium out of my ****** and sent you a PM

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be working on pulling the F250 front axle this weekend and yes the plan was to scrap it.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you grabbed all the plates, bracketing, front drive shaft and such from the donor truck. I have seen too many people forget the lower U bolt plate on the driver side which is form fitted. Also don't forget the track bar and its bracket.

If you got all that covered, then giver!!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The F350 single cab was my previous "Hunting Truck". I've stripped nearly everything off of it and now ready to start on the F250 extended cab. I'll keep the F350 sitting beside the garage till everything is done, then scrap whats leftover. Planning to do a condensed version of Laser Jock build, I think it's titled "Big Red". Not going nearly as deep as he did, however I plan on cleaning the frame and painting with POR15, swaping the front axle, ZF-5 spd, changing interior color to grey with bucket seats and console (currently it's red), plastic fuel tanks, holley "red" fuel pump, stainless brake lines, 4" stainless exhaust, and finish with new paint job (black).
You must be registered for see images attach

marmot

On the bench
Reaction score
Found a set of matching steel ford rims at the scrap yard, 70$ for the set, and am about to buy a set of good yokohama geolander tires off craigslist they are 8ply but they will do the job till I can afford a good set. I am hoping my title work will arrive from deerlodge by friday and then I can get her out for a sea trial. So far I have just lapped the neighborhood.