So what did you do with your truck today?

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score

7.3 IDI TURBO Engine block non running.

For sale near me. Not sure if anyone is interested. I thinking about it, looks like it was left in the rain though.

Never-Have-I-Ether

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For sale near me. Not sure if anyone is interested. I thinking about it, looks like it was left in the rain though.

Never-Have-I-Ether

I'm sure it's worth $350 just for a core as long as it's not all rusted up solid.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score

Never-Have-I-Ether
Too bad I won't be around there for another couple of months. If course it may sold already since it was listed 3 weeks ago.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ahhhhh..... the illusive 12v...
What? My truck's 12 volt too. Does that make it special?:joker:
Cause of that 12v love. Man I don't understand it.
Me neither. Not at all. They are good engines and all, but I sure don't feel any special love for them. I can buy a lot of IDI parts or even whole trucks for the cost of those Cummins. I also like running the "underdog" engines.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
If I were to do some sort of crazy swap, I'd probably look at an ISL 850, all the benefits of common rail, no emissions. Pretty robust engine. But imagine sticking a 8.9 liter in our trucks... Haha!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? My truck's 12 volt too. Does that make it special?:joker:

Me neither. Not at all. They are good engines and all, but I sure don't feel any special love for them. I can buy a lot of IDI parts or even whole trucks for the cost of those Cummins. I also like running the "underdog" engines.
HEY!, I'm not super all about them, but they are really stout engines. And I'm with you I prefer my "underdog" IDI, I can buy 3 or 4 of our engines, compared to 1 12v Cummins...........and I'm sure no Cummins guy will admit it, but they really sound like they're farting when they accelerate.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Motorhomes are often the most abused vehicles out there. I would never use a motorhome engine in a swap.
We actually have ab old holiday rambler at the shop right now with a 12v that has zero compression... At 83k miles. Rv looks like a total pile, and he's replacing the engine... Cause of that 12v love. Man I don't understand it.
That's crazy, I always thought motorhomes were the stuff for low mileage big blocks. But I get your point, they just sit and matinance is probably lax.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
they really sound like they're farting when they accelerate.
This reminded me of the first one that I saw with stacks. It was back in about 1993. The driver gave the throttle a quick, light blip. One guy standing there said "that sounded just like a fart!" loud enough for the driver to hear. I agreed. The guy who said it was cool enough to be driving a Bull Nose with a 6.9 in it.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to do some sort of crazy swap, I'd probably look at an ISL 850, all the benefits of common rail, no emissions. Pretty robust engine. But imagine sticking a 8.9 liter in our trucks... Haha!
If I was going to get weird with an engine swap, I'd do a 24hp 2cyl Briggs and Stratton. With a bunch of gear reduction and dramatic YouTube videos. I watched a video with a guy running a 302 with a Briggs and Stratton carburetor, it was really efficient and wayyyy to technical for this poor white man.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If I was going to get weird with an engine swap, I'd do a 24hp 2cyl Briggs and Stratton. With a bunch of gear reduction and dramatic YouTube videos. I watched a video with a guy running a 302 with a Briggs and Stratton carburetor, it was really efficient and wayyyy to technical for this poor white man.
I saw that video suggested, but I didn't watch it.
My weird engine swap was this. A guy I knew was wanting to sell his 67 Mustang. Nothing special. 6 cylinder car, three speed manual, no engine. I wanted to fix it up to be a show car. Everything on the body and interior-perfect. I wanted to put some small engine in the trunk with a centrifugal clutch hooked to the rear end just to move it in and out of a car show. Under the hood would have been either highly polished stainless or highly polished aluminum everywhere. I'm talking about mirror quality shine. In the middle would have been a hamster in a cage with one of those hamster wheels. I would have a couple of wires to the cage and ran them back inside the car just effect. I wouldn't have opened the truck at all.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw that video suggested, but I didn't watch it.
My weird engine swap was this. A guy I knew was wanting to sell his 67 Mustang. Nothing special. 6 cylinder car, three speed manual, no engine. I wanted to fix it up to be a show car. Everything on the body and interior-perfect. I wanted to put some small engine in the trunk with a centrifugal clutch hooked to the rear end just to move it in and out of a car show. Under the hood would have been either highly polished stainless or highly polished aluminum everywhere. I'm talking about mirror quality shine. In the middle would have been a hamster in a cage with one of those hamster wheels. I would have a couple of wires to the cage and ran them back inside the car just effect. I wouldn't have opened the truck at all.
THAT SIR, IS GENIUS!!!!

On a totally different note: state farm will insure my tow truck as a driver! $420 for 6mths, that's bare minimum coverage.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with that guy who ran the lawn mower carb is this, he never shows EGT's. Yes, he can be getting that amazing mpg. The issue is that the fuel/air mixture is so lean that it's burning wayyyyy to hot. He'll easily burn a hole in a piston or valve with consistent use. Not once has he ever showed his EGT though. I call bull until he can show that. If EGT is normal or acceptable it's certainly feasible then. Like I said though, EGT is key to if it's a legit reliable vehicle.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with that guy who ran the lawn mower carb is this, he never shows EGT's. Yes, he can be getting that amazing mpg. The issue is that the fuel/air mixture is so lean that it's burning wayyyyy to hot. He'll easily burn a hole in a piston or valve with consistent use. Not once has he ever showed his EGT though. I call bull until he can show that. If EGT is normal or acceptable it's certainly feasible then. Like I said though, EGT is key to if it's a legit reliable vehicle.

Never-Have-I-Ether
It's just overly technical, and you won't ever hear your 4 barrel open up! How are you gonna make them Chevy guys nervous when you ain't got a Holley double pumper!!?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online