So what did you do with your truck today?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can see how far down the rods punched into the lifters on many of them. One of them is probably making zero contact.

Ordered all of them, I think I'm the first one down in here at 240k ish miles.

Will be nice to not have all the smoke and chuffs.

I also realize I have 2 Walmart value batteries in this truck. I'm sure there's a reason, I probably stole the other batteries for something? I'm impressed that they've been starting it but also impressed at how far gone my memory is

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Replaced the return fuel lines at the top of the engine. Nicked the fuel line that leads to the tank with my knife. It looks like a plastic line with a rubber outside. Is that just mine or is it OEM? Going to have to replace it back to the metal line.:mad:

Why is there a spacer at the top of the #1 injector?
You must be registered for see images attach
I hate those things...
I replaced that timing adapter and the #1 injector line with a line off a 6.9 I have sitting here....it was just the 7.3s that had them as far as I know, my 6.9s didn't...
I just don't like how much pressure is put on the #1 injector line with that adapter..they always seem to be cross threaded by some knucklehead with a 5/8 wrench...

Rock

TygreII

Reaction score
I hate those things...
I replaced that timing adapter and the #1 injector line with a line off a 6.9 I have sitting here....it was just the 7.3s that had them as far as I know, my 6.9s didn't...
I just don't like how much pressure is put on the #1 injector line with that adapter..they always seem to be cross threaded by some knucklehead with a 5/8 wrench...

Rock
That's why I try to hand thread first, then use the wrench. Those were tough to get started.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes they can be difficult. I've even had to hold the nut up and bend the line slightly in order to get it lined up good enough that I could start the nut by hand.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
That's why I try to hand thread first, then use the wrench. Those were tough to get started.
My trouble was it had already been crossed threaded by the POs mechanic.. I spent like 3 hours trying to hand thread both ends in different orders, they were just too screwed up.. I prefer the straight line anyhow.

Rock

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Replaced the return fuel lines at the top of the engine. Nicked the fuel line that leads to the tank with my knife. It looks like a plastic line with a rubber outside. Is that just mine or is it OEM? Going to have to replace it back to the metal line.:mad:

Why is there a spacer at the top of the #1 injector?
Adding to what IDIBronco shared. It is where the Ford Factory Rotunda timing meter clamp went. If you have a different brand they generally go on the injector line. Tach and Time (Kent Moore), Tech Time (DTI), and Ferret attach to the injector line itself.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It is where the Ford Factory Rotunda timing meter clamp went. If you have a different brand they generally go on the injector line. Tach and Time (Kent Moore), Tech Time (DTI), and Ferret attach to the injector line itself.
Thanks Bart. I was thinking it was for the Rotunda meter, but couldn't remember for sure. The DTI meter we used at the shop I worked at (I don't remember the brand, but it was exactly like the one I bought) did have the attachment to use on the timing adapter with it. Did it come with the meter? Was it purchased separately? Was it a genuine Rotunda part that got thrown in with the DTI meter? I don't know, but it was there and we used it.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Thanks Bart. I was thinking it was for the Rotunda meter, but couldn't remember for sure. The DTI meter we used at the shop I worked at (I don't remember the brand, but it was exactly like the one I bought) did have the attachment to use on the timing adapter with it. Did it come with the meter? Was it purchased separately? Was it a genuine Rotunda part that got thrown in with the DTI meter? I don't know, but it was there and we used it.
Good mystery, we will have to dig a little deeper! Maybe DTI used to offer one? Maybe someone else sold the larger clamp and line.

I wish Snap On still offered the connector and the probe. I bought the Snap On ST 1480 lummy meter on the cheap but have not found the probe or piezo clamp. I do have a lummy lead and lummy glow plug adapter. Some day maybe I can make set out of it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have no idea if it was included or if it was bought separately. Everything was already there when I started working there. It does make sense that those aren't included in the latest round of DTI meters that are on Ebay now. They were made for the 6.2/6.5s that are/were in the Humvees and they didn't use that adapter.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That "spacer" is a timing adapter. It's where you're "supposed" to get the pulse signal from when timing a 7.3.
It works well for the DTI Tech Time meter too. I recently tried it, and then confirmed with the clamp on sensor. I just “attached” the wire to the collar with a zip tie.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bam! There it is!

TNBrett, FYI that engine is way to shiny and oil free, guessing that is your rebuild project?
Yep. It’s getting very close to done. I should have been daily driving it by now, but there have been a couple of hurdles. I think I’m close to having all those resolved very soon.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It works well for the DTI Tech Time meter too. I recently tried it, and then confirmed with the clamp on sensor. I just “attached” the wire to the collar with a zip tie.
I believe IDIBronco mentioned his had a special clamp that would go on that injector fitting you zip tied to. Then the transducer cable attached to that clamp.

From the pic it appears you have zip tied the transducer cable connector directly against the injector fitting.

DTI does not show an adapter/clamp big enough to clamp where the Rotunda did. So the mystery continues. But good to know the clamp may not be necessary.