So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yesterday I went up into Nebraska and went playing in the river with a friend. The other three were either too hung over or too busy trying to spend money at an auction to join us. The two of us still had a good time. He even found a new friend. I found someone else's "whoopsie" on the way home. There is a right turn arrow, but it's laying in the ditch. It was a long day. I left town before 6:30 AM and didn't get home until about 9:30 PM.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    404.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 19

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ran the truck around today getting some transmission fluid for the ZF and some gear oil. Apparently Valvoline 75w-140 is on sale so I jumped. $11 something per quart, so $50 out the door for a gallon of full synthetic.

Then I went to Lowes to pick up some new stainless screws for the taillights on the camper. They were pretty rough so I figured I'd better replace them NOW while I still can...

You must be registered for see images attach

I had to drill one, but the other 7 came out fine.

I put some LEDs in because the old bulbs were so dim.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I might have saved my bacon too. One bulb was pretty scorched but still working. It would have been a bad day if it melted/burned something.

As of now all the marker and signal lights are working!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the tires rotated and balanced. Then I washed it all up. Practically ready for date night. I’d love to muster up the effort to buff the entire truck because I’m sure it’d look less dull.

Attachments

• 0B77BC43-8F13-465C-B2D5-6FD8EED93800.jpeg
    0B77BC43-8F13-465C-B2D5-6FD8EED93800.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 9

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll add that to the checklist.

I can lose a qt every 50 miles if I'm doing a lot of freeway/smashing it

I will one up you at 50 mpg for oil consumption and leaving a blue james bond smoke screen under acceleration, at hammer down there is added balck smoke.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I been working a lot and my only real break is driving the 85 from location to location during shift, I'm liable to get on it when I can

Love to see that smoke!

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the front fuel tank done! Finally have two fuel tanks again.

I gutted the rollover valve. Put a brass tee at the end of some vinyl hose, to replace the showerhead. Epoxy coated the sender unit plate before I installed it. Everything else pretty much routine.

Went to fill it up. Shoved that nozzle down in there as far as it would go. Set it on high, and let 'er rip! Filled up the completely empty tank in less time than it usually takes to fill up a half full tank.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Went to fill it up. Shoved that nozzle down in there as far as it would go. Set it on high, and let 'er rip! Filled up the completely empty tank in less time than it usually takes to fill up a half full tank.

I've never felt so jealous!!

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think gutting the rollover valve is what did that.

I think it is just that I finally realized the purpose of the way that the filler is set up.

Let me explain.

In this pic you can see how the inner hose is inside the outer hose. The fuel goes down the inner hose. Air comes back up the outer hose.

What is not easy to explain is that the top of that inner hose is a funnel shape. (If you look at the second picture down there. On the left is the 92 that I just finished, and you can actually see the rubber inner hose, down in there.)

If you do not push the fuel nozzle down far enough, then you are shooting fuel AT that funnel. That makes it take a long long time to fill up, because the reactor in the filler nozzle keeps reacting to back spray.

If you shove that nozzle as far down in there as you can, the funnel end of that inner rubber hose will seal itself around the nozzle. You don't have to get it super tight. Just make contact with the rubber.

Now there is only one direction that fuel is flowing. Straight down that inner hose. With no back wash confusing the nozzle reactor. It will go with full force, until the tank is completely full. At that point the fuel will fill up BOTH the inner and outer hose at about the same rate. When the level reaches the nozzle, it shuts off.

So, pretty much, you just have to let the system work the way it is supposed to do. Quit fidgeting around, trying to find that 'sweet spot', where you get the best flow, and the least flipping off. Just cram that fuel nozzle as far down in there as you can get it. You will feel when the end has hit rubber.

If you still have problems at that point then you probably have obstructions in the outer hose, where the air is supposed to come back up from the tank as it fills.

~~~~~~~

Now here's a problem, between the years.

The truck I am running is a 92. My other truck is an 89. The filler necks are different.

In this pic, the 92 is on the left. (Already installed.) The 89 is on the right.

You can see two problems with the 89.

1.) the "vent hole, is one small hole. Maybe that is not as much of a problem as it seems. But the vent hole for the 92, is a long slot, instead. Just like with an engine, IMO, the easier the air can get out, the better.

2.) the hole for the nozzle to go through is smaller. I don't know, maybe you can't get the nozzle far enough through there, to get it to seat against the inner rubber hose. I seem to remember shoving the nozzle further in on that one, helped, but never remedied the problem. It could well be that the size of the nozzle hole was keeping the nozzle from going in far enough.

Now, for this problem, I have no idea how much of that metal right there, that you can remove, before you are to the point of releasing that inner hose... But I would experiment with both. Make that nozzle hole larger. Until it seems that you are going to be cutting into either the vent portion, or the inner rubber hose. And make that vent hole larger. I'd probably just drill a few more, slightly smaller holes beside it.

That metal there is not "even". You can't just put vent holes all the way around the exterior.

Do all that, of course, with the filler OFF of the tank, and sitting on a bench. Clean it all very well, when done, to prevent drilings from eventually finding their way into the tank.

If you have the 92 and up style tank filler neck, yer set. Just cram the filler nozzle all the way in against that rubber hose.

Maybe the easiest fix for this problem would be to purchase the 92 and up style filler neck, and replace it on the 91 and below trucks. They are identical, other than this problem. Everything else is the same size. same screw holes, same shape, same length, etc.

I'm going to be interested in hearing from others if they try this, without having made any other changes.

By the way. This plastic tank is 25 or 26 gallons. I put in roughly 5 or 6 gallons that I had at home. Then it took 20.6 gallons to fill it up.

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Great explanation! Best I've seen.

Mine is a '94 and I've tried every nozzle position known to geometry and physics!

I'll take a look at my vent holes and see what I've got. I can't even get to the first flow notch on most fuel nozzles so I have to hold the damn thing at partial flow the whole time on both tanks.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the flow of air up from the tank is being impeded?

I don't know what could do that, but it seems strange to me that some people have the problem, and then stop having the problem and all they did was to remove the filler, and put it back.

My other thought is to wonder if you could make an extension that you could put on the gas nozzle, to extend it further into that inlet hose?

I actually have this, from walmart for a buck and a half, that I was considering trying that with. But of course I don't need to any more.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scepter-...gine-Oil-10468-0-029-lbs-7-3-Height/378376392

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Mine are slotted:

Do you think the hoses just get old and collapse inward causing the issue?

My plan was to address this when I pull the bed off to get rid of the crappy home built goose hitch and airbag mounts. Clean up the frame, install larger rear tank, maybe new hoses while I’m in there.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the good one! Way better pic than I could get. :)

Are you sure that you are getting the nozzle all the way down in there?

Maybe the nozzle at my station is larger??? It does service semi's. And this pump pumps way faster than any diesel pump at any other gas station I have used. But the semis use a different pump. And I think the nozzles they use are even larger.

Really try to get that nozzle as far in there as you can. If it seals into the inner hole in there, and you still have the problem, then I have to wonder the same as you, if maybe the hose has deteriorated or something?

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the good one! Way better pic than I could get. :)

Are you sure that you are getting the nozzle all the way down in there?

Maybe the nozzle at my station is larger??? It does service semi's. And this pump pumps way faster than any diesel pump at any other gas station I have used. But the semis use a different pump. And I think the nozzles they use are even larger.

Really try to get that nozzle as far in there as you can. If it seals into the inner hole in there, and you still have the problem, then I have to wonder the same as you, if maybe the hose has deteriorated or something?
On my 85 I have to support the thing with both hands and gingerly hover it above the fill pipe. Placing it in, doesn't matter depth, kicks the pump on and off. I'll do the harpoon mod one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7