So what did you do with your truck today?

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well found the failer point of these clamp, 1/2 year and ~9k miles.

You must be registered for see images attach

So bailing wire to the rescue.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
They certainly come in handy :Thumbs Up

Surely you arent using that ratchet strap for lifting right?

Chillman88: "Causing Osha inspectors to turn over in their graves since February 2017" :rotflmao

Unfortunately I dont have any pictures of the ones I built for work but they were stubby, had to fit thru 10ft double doors, be able to roll and steer freely, and be capable of lifting 1 ton Stokes pump motors at least 3 inches off the ground.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely you arent using that ratchet strap for lifting right?

Certainly not! I'm using it to securely hold the chain hoist which is being used for lifting LOL

Let's just say if there was an OSHA inspector driving by when I was putting that up they would have had a stroke right then and there. But it's up now!

I wanted one for inside the garage but I decided to build this one a little big. I've used my buddy's before and needed a little bit more height while trying to unload, I figured build this one a little taller than I should need so I won't run into that issue ever again. Some day I'm going to find an engineer to tell me what is considered a "safe load" for this. Until then, it should be heavy enough for anything I need it for.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Certainly not! I'm using it to securely hold the chain hoist which is being used for lifting LOL

Let's just say if there was an OSHA inspector driving by when I was putting that up they would have had a stroke right then and there. But it's up now!

I wanted one for inside the garage but I decided to build this one a little big. I've used my buddy's before and needed a little bit more height while trying to unload, I figured build this one a little taller than I should need so I won't run into that issue ever again. Some day I'm going to find an engineer to tell me what is considered a "safe load" for this. Until then, it should be heavy enough for anything I need it for.
Nice. Theres a fella not too far from me selling half a dozen 24 foot 8" I Beams that I was thinking about picking up once my truck is ready. About 4200lbs of steel, would easily make several nice shop gantries.

Send me dimensions and materials and I can perform a stress analysis if you'd like.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Yesterday I dumped a can of gumout into the oil to maybe clean a little bit. Today I changed my overdue oil.

I still can't get over the fact that this filter says MADE IN USA on it!

Then I got the scrap loaded up for tomorrow.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score

webstructural.com

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting started on a project this morning. Not sure I'll be doing the axle pivots, but they came in the kit. The spring bushings are looking pretty bad, and it seems like the bumpstop and the axle have been growing closer lately. Any tips on doing the bare minimum to get to the spring bushings?

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting started on a project this morning. Not sure I'll be doing the axle pivots, but they came in the kit. The spring bushings are looking pretty bad, and it seems like the bumpstop and the axle have been growing closer lately. Any tips on doing the bare minimum to get to the spring bushings?
Unbolt the leafs(at the axle) with weight on the axle. So put your jack under the axle till it almost comes up off the stand. This loads the axle and takes the torsion off the leafs, they unbolt easier that way.
There is a sweet spot to do the same on the bushings but it's a feel thing. Keep that jack handy IIRC. Too little weight and they are under too much torsion and too much the bolt won't come out either...
Once it's out if you don't have a press you can burn them out or drill lots of holes in the rubber and use a Sawzall + old screw driver to get the inner, rubber, then outer parts of the bushings out. It's a workout.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbolt the leafs(at the axle) with weight on the axle. So put your jack under the axle till it almost comes up off the stand. This loads the axle and takes the torsion off the leafs, they unbolt easier that way.
There is a sweet spot to do the same on the bushings but it's a feel thing. Keep that jack handy IIRC. Too little weight and they are under too much torsion and too much the bolt won't come out either...
Once it's out if you don't have a press you can burn them out or drill lots of holes in the rubber and use a Sawzall + old screw driver to get the inner, rubber, then outer parts of the bushings out. It's a workout.
Can I get away with not unbilting driveline and steering? I'm taking calipers off regardless. Learned about the torsion thing the hardway on one side, so I'll have to change that around a little.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep nothing else to unbolt for just the spring bushings. Make sure to get all 3 per side! 2 out of 3 is a lot of work to go part way, not worth it.

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First shackle bushing came out suspiciously easy, leaf spring bushings on the other hand are putting up more of a fight. Axle pivot bushings look pristine, but I have reason to believe they were replaced once already.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I’ve had to use heat and an air hammer to get some leaf bushings out.
Just ran across this video the other day, but I have not tried it myself:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had to use heat and an air hammer to get some leaf bushings out.
Just ran across this video the other day, but I have not tried it myself:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yeah drilling is where I am at with the leaf bushings. Maybe I'm just not getting enough heat in there or my air hammer is too weak, but the shackle bushing came out like a textbook example. It was in the worst shape by far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx