So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wasn't so productive today. I did manage to get the new accumulator installed. I discovered that even after "having all the parts needed", I had forgotten to buy a new low pressure switch. The orifice tube that came with my component kit from Rock Auto is blue and I knew that so I ordered a red one. I opened up the box that it was in to discover that it was for a GM!-cussI went ahead and installed the blue one so I could at least have A/C. Then I discovered that the new line that runs from the condensor to the evaporator was made wrong. I gave up and decided to go to town tomorrow and hope to find the right line, a low pressure switch, and a red orifice tube. :dunno I wasn't quite ready to head home so I moved my treasure hunt truck (from last year) out of it's hiding place behind the garage so I can be ready to move it to the front of my garage to rob parts off of to put on the Ex Wife which will be next right after I get the A/C going in the Blue Truck. I didn't move it very far, but I didn't use a very big tow rig (I did have to use the Blue Truck to get it out of the wheel indentions that it left after sitting for a year). I took a picture of it from the spot where the driver's front tire had sat. The empty spot where it was looks kind of funny now.
Now on to the most frustrating part of all. I was less than a mile from home when I looked at the old A/C line again and I realized that there's yet another fitting on it so the new one is probably right anyway. I had already decided to go buy the low pressure switch and (hopefully) a red/orange orifice tube. I guess that means that I probably just saved myself the cost of the new line.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    572.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    626.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    550.1 KB · Views: 8

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Finished the final layers of rubberized undercoatings on "Earl Simpson Sr." Got it lined up with the flatbed, just need to figure out how to pivot it down and get it in position safely. Once its on where I want it, I will be extending the rear of the frame by about 2 feet and then extending the bed by about 4 feet.
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
just need to figure out how to pivot it down and get it in position safely.
Maybe you run a chain from the top of the headache rack to the other truck, and then use the second truck to lower the bed down by keeping pressure on the chain and slowly backing up.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a guy at work who will help me with my ac,
Told me to jump it at home today as part of the troubleshoot.

The wheel on front pops in and out, but no spin.

Ky85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ty for insight I'm flying blind when it comes to this sector of the engine

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ty for insight I'm flying blind when it comes to this sector of the engine
I'm no A/C expert, but if it has enough freon and the electromagnet in the clutch works, but it doesn't spin, then I'd guess that the clutch is the problem.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that your compressor isn’t seized up. With the engine off, try and turn the compressor by hand. If the compressor was locked up, I think you could burn that clutch up pretty quickly. That may be a moot point anyway, I don’t know if the clutch is available separately or not now.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
When my pump seized up last year I was doing 65mph at 2,700 rpms. It shattered the clutch before I realized the reason the truck suddenly lost some power was the compressor just locked up. Had to cut the belt as it was now turning the pulley again but riding on top of the clutch bearing not turning it.

So if the compressor clutch is engaging but the compressor is not turning you can damage it. Sounds like your compressor is locked up or going out.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Maybe you run a chain from the top of the headache rack to the other truck, and then use the second truck to lower the bed down by keeping pressure on the chain and slowly backing up.
Not a bad idea, Other truck doesnt have batteries in it since I pulled them for the new truck but I might be able to do it with the engine hoist if I roll a log onto it to counterweight it. I have a bunch of 400+ lbs logs that should counter balance it nicely. I was thinking of putting a post under the nose of it held up with a floor jack. Maybe a combination of the two would make sense.

Projects like this make me want to weld up an A-Frame with a simple 1ton manual chain fall.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just use whatever was at hand, those logs, some scrap lumber, some scrap steel tubing or angle iron, etc... And make a 'rack' for the bed. Do what it takes to get the bed up onto the rack, and leveled off at the right height. Then back the truck underneath it.

ISPKI

Reaction score
Yeah thats what I did with the fiberglass utility bed that was on it previously. I built piers with cinderblocks that supported the corners and just rolled the truck out from under it. Was precarious but it got the job done.

Problem I have with this bed is that I would need 10+ foot planks and I need this truck to go get some and I just realized while typing this reply that I have some steel commercial wall studs sitting in my barn that are 12 feet and would probably work... boy ya all are helpful on here.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Projects like this make me want to weld up an A-Frame with a simple 1ton manual chain fall.
That's how I pull engines. I find that although it isn't mobile, I actually like the control of the chain hoist over the possible hydraulic ram failure with a cherry picker. I was just able to squeeze it between the rafters in my two car garage so it's inside now. I don't have a good picture of it. Here's a few pictures to give you an idea what it's built like. I did use it to pick up the rear end of my Bronco to do the rear end swap while I was converting it to a diesel.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    424.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    471.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    472.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG