So what did you do with your truck today?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Wes, you're not going to hear the end of this for a while, I'm afraid. I'd give you some static about it too if I wasn't so far down the list.;)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I live two blocks from where I work so I just walk to work. When I woke up this morning, it was 5 degrees with a windchill of -15. So I decided F it! I drove the old half ton to work. I didn't bother to run it long, just 4 or 5 minutes to warm up enough to run. It didn't have to be warm inside, just keep me out of the wind! Since, tomorrow morning, it's supposed to be around 0 with a wind chill around -10, I'll probably do the same thing tomorrow too.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live two blocks from where I work so I just walk to work. When I woke up this morning, it was 5 degrees with a windchill of -15. So I decided F it! I drove the old half ton to work. I didn't bother to run it long, just 4 or 5 minutes to warm up enough to run. It didn't have to be warm inside, just keep me out of the wind! Since, tomorrow morning, it's supposed to be around 0 with a wind chill around -10, I'll probably do the same thing tomorrow too.

I wish I only worked a few blocks from home but I have to run 30 miles to work over the pass I had to run my suburban for 25 min this morning just to make it half bareable for the kids man I miss southern Utah when it's cold out

WAID

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Opened up the heater core box to make sure It wasn't full of dead mice and then vacuumed the whole inside of the truck.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my 6.9 back last night, @FarmerFrank did an awesome job with my clutch and throwout bearing, which was so locked up it wouldn't spin. Ordered some felpro valve cover gaskets so I can seal the drivers side back up. Gonna pull the good clutch pedal assembly I have in a parts truck out tomorrow so I can swap it with the worn one in my 7.3 some other weekend when I have time.

Was good to get to drive both of them again, and good to have the 4x4 back as I doubt we've seen the last of winter quite yet..

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed the cap from the airbox nipple, screwed the Filter Minder on, closed the hood :)

Also got a new pyro probe and checked it with ice and boiling water. Too tired to crawl under the truck and replace the defective one today.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My "supplier" called lol

Picked up another 100gal of waste hydraulic oil. I guess I'd better get a centrifuge ordered!

My fuel gauge was bouncing between what would be about 8 gallons over full and what should be about right at 3/4 tank. I hope its the wiring again and not the sender this time...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Well I didn't get to drive the F150 to work today. I tried to start it and the actuator broke (so I thought). So I walked. The wind wasn't blowing so it wasn't all that bad. I've walked in colder weather. When I got home, I pulled the cover off of the steering column so that I could grab the rod and start it by pushing the rod down. Nope. Not it either. The rod won't move down when the key's in the "on" position. So I opened the hood and I could get the engine to turn over by jumping the solenoid. Since the key will still turn on the ignition, a push button goes in tomorrow, after I get to town to buy one. I'll see if I can fix the problem when it's warmer out.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't get to drive the F150 to work today. I tried to start it and the actuator broke (so I thought). So I walked. The wind wasn't blowing so it wasn't all that bad. I've walked in colder weather. When I got home, I pulled the cover off of the steering column so that I could grab the rod and start it by pushing the rod down. Nope. Not it either. The rod won't move down when the key's in the "on" position. So I opened the hood and I could get the engine to turn over by jumping the solenoid. Since the key will still turn on the ignition, a push button goes in tomorrow, after I get to town to buy one. I'll see if I can fix the problem when it's warmer out.
That sucks but pretty amazing you can just walk to work. What kind of temps do you have out there?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the old pulley from my regular alternator on my 3g alternator and the thing squeaks less now but still can be rough the first minute after the truck starts. I think it's trying to tell me my batteries are shot and its gotta stay in full charge mode for up to 2 minutes to make itself happy. Gotta let him idle for 2 minutes before you leave or the high rpm screech is awful. After that its quiet now at least. Went for an errand run and can safely say the 7.3 is fine after the inspection plate scare from my smf conversion. I'm not changing my clutch pedal assembly until its warmer out though, old one still has some life in it and the parts truck with the new one is stranded in the cold..

You must be registered for see images attach

I also was sizing up the valve covers for issues on my 6.9 when my new gaskets come next week and found that every single bolt was loose. I dont know how much 6ft/lbs is, but I was able to comfortably turn each bolt one full turn. Guess I'll see if that does anything.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 ft-lb is much softer than you think it is :) I have an inch-pound torque wrench and was quite surprised how gentle 72 in-lb is.
I'd also recommend turning the spreaders over to be sure they have an arch that's high in the center (hole) and low on each end.

square1

Reaction score
Put in a new AC condenser and straightened the mushed fins on the trans cooler.
Radiator recore is done. I'll pick it up Monday after work. It'll be nice to have my truck all put back together and available to use.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night it was -30*f so this morning after it warmed up to a balmy -6*f I decided I'd go out and start the fleet the Jetta fired up no problem both of the Chevy's fired right up looking like a good day the charger fired right up then I go to fire up the idi cranks no fire no smoke I plugged it In for an hour cranked no fire well pulled the fuel filter and found gelled fuel so filled filter with a mix of 911 an atf put the propane heater blowing under the front of the truck gave it 20 min and she fired right up gotta Love old weather oh and my neighbor stopped by and ask what's up being friendly I couldn't help but reply I was sick of winter so I'm helping with global warming

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I replaced a slightly-leaking pair of adapters I'd cobbled up (for my braided turbo oil feed line) with the correct steel AN to NPT part, installed a one-pin connector in the feed line to my electric fuel pump relay (that extra wire always seems to be in the way of something I need to move), replaced the out-of-the-box defective pyro probe with a new one, and while I was already working, decided to turn up the pump to go with my new turbo.

That was messy - there's a lot of diesel inside the IP housing! But I used the starter to bump the engine until the pin reached the 12:00 position (actually pretty easy by listening to each cylinder go over compression). The screw was a bit stiffer than I anticipated - probably has never been moved. Turned it up two flats, put it all back together, waited for the electric pump to work the air out, and fired it up. No leaks, went for a short drive.

The pyro is now working (just off the pin at 300F at a warm idle, about 500F at a 30 mph up/downhill cruise, didn't have time to watch it at wide-open on the back dirt roads). I could get to only 6 psi boost before the potholes had me bouncing out of the seat at 45 mph. But on the same drive before adjusting the fuel screw the max was 3 psi. Didn't see any smoke but there was plenty of dust :) Will give it a better road test on the highway once the sleet/ice forecast for tonight is gone.

ShadetreeV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got new shoes mounted and balanced, wasn't quite quick enough to avoid the weather though, thankfully it's rolling through quickly. Nothing compared to what some of you all have to deal with back east!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx