Smoking real bad need some thoughts!

Roy m

Reaction score
Okay well I have a 94 7.3 it smokes fairly bad Iam going thru a gallon of oil in roughly 3 days now it does have some leaks but those would prolly acct for maybe a quart of loss at most now Iam an extremely good auto mechanic Iam just not super familiar with diesel so the smoke does thin out as the truck warms upwhat I’ve done so far is did a compression check that was around 425 all but 1 that one was about 360 I took the pcv valve and put a sorta filter in it not enough to restrict airflow just keep the oil in the crank case it doesn’t blow the cap off the oil fill when u look under it looks like oil coming down the back of the head but above the exhaust port it’s dry so I believe it’s coming outta the exhaust port itself so valve steam seals? I know that if you bring each cylinder to TDC the valves can not drop in but how do you confirm tdc there’s no direct access in to the cylinder from the glow plug or the injector 1 more thing is the smoke increases when u let off the throttle thins out went u accelerate and has revved by itself a couple of times If u hold the throttle at about 15-1800 rpm not every time but it will takes off and red line itself just screaming and will not shutdown turn the key pull the injection pump wire all that u can’t kill it unless u choke it air off it’s like it takes and runs on it own oil any thoughts or pointed in the right direction would be appreciated thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are looking for some minor solution to your problem. I believe you need to find another engine or pull this one and go through it and rebuild it.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

it’s like it takes and runs on it own oil

That's what's happening.

Search the forum for "head gasket replacement" or some such.

You have a day of reading ahead of you!

Good luck.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
With 425 and 360 lbs compression (pretty typical) and not enough blow by to blow the oil filler cap off if set over the hole upside down I would think it is at least worth a little diagnostic time before pulling it.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know that if you bring each cylinder to TDC the valves can not drop in but how do you confirm tdc
My advice would be to pull the valve covers and watch the rocker arms. When both pushrods have no tension on them (you can spin them by hand easily at this point) after the intake valve closes, you'll be pretty close.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the timing tab and the mark on your harmonic balancer it says "0" at 11 o'clock and go from there. There's a post here with which cylinders are 11, 2, 5 and 8 o'clock. 1 and 4 should be 11 o'clock. Then follow the firing order as you go around.

TDC on compressions stroke doesn't matter for this but if you needed that, the dowel pin on the IP gear would be at 4 o'clock when number 1 is at TDC.

I'd be answering the turbo question before I pulled an engine..... I'd also disconnect the CDR and vent it to atmosphere and see if that is what is causing it to run away.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I know this is off topic. But every time I see the title of this thread, I can't help but think... "Have you tried nicotine gum?"

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I know this is off topic. But every time I see the title of this thread, I can't help but think... "Have you tried nicotine gum?"
I think it's a much better option than vaping. I can't say on this forum what I thought it looked like the first time I saw that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726