smokes at idle

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok looking at buying a 88 7.3 117k Only problem is that it smokes white with a hint of blue at maybe from the way it sounded over the phone only at idle not any other time and not all the time off and on but runs fine. Got new injectors and glowplugs. I'm thinking return lines leaking or headgasket blown. but he uses it to pull with and power is fine he figures. So what's your guys takes on it.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timing? the new injectors could have thrown off an already off timing? My 86 had a haze at idle at 5*. Went away when i took it to 9*

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably out of time before he did, could be eating oil like a crazy. possible head gasket but i wouldnt jump too quick to that. best bet is to take a look your self and smell the exhaust

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
blue/white haze if it burns your eyes is more than likely timing, dont rule out injectors even if they are new, I know russ has said that he has gotten some that were bad right out of the box

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Could be lots of reasons for this. No telling if the injection pump has ever been changed and if it has was it done correctly. Was it timed. a new set of injectors can be new rebuilds too. Funny how a seller will tell you new rebuilt something. Your being told what hopefully will sell something. Never have seen a seller running down what they are trying to sell.. You have not mentioned mileage on this rig yet either nor the price. If you look it over ask if this is the original engine. Ask if it has a rebuilt injection pump. Was it timed when the injectors or pump was replaced. What if any work has been done on the engine. If you can see a cork or rubber oil pan gasket and the owner tells you its never been apart just walk away because he is hiding something or he knows nothing bout the engine. If confronted about it having a gasket instead of the factory rtv you may get a differnt responce from him. Really the best question to ask is.. Why are you selling this truck,,

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is asking 2200 for it super nice body 5 speed and new tires all good answers and questions I'm gonna look at it today I'll check it to best of my abilitys was gonna ask about the injectors too got to thinking could be rebuilds too after talking to him. thanks guys I'll let ya know later if I get it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are you able to wrench on this engine. Can you change injectors and injection pump. If so I may add this. Depending on the miles on the injection pump you might be better off with a quality rebuilt pump. Call Mel at conestoga diesel in Pa. He is a well known member here that does great work on pumps. Many of the members here will only buy from Mel because he is so honest. Buying from the lowest cost ebay seller will get you nothing but trouble. Many have come to this forum with woes of some ebay seller palming off crap on them. One member had to get 3 pumps before one was even close to good from an ebay seller on the pan handle of Florida. Se these ripoff sellers in the Hall of Shame forum before you buy.. Now if you can change the pump I have a timing meter rental program that many have used here on this forum. Seems no shop will time our engines any longer so I inveted several thousand dollars in meters and repairs to keep our engines running well. This is not a money maker either. I do this for the members and our trucks. My meters come with the tools and instructions to time the engines. I offer my cell number incase you want to talk too. Good luck with this rig and please ask questions and take pics. We all love to see pics.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
2200 doesn't seem too bad of a deal if the tires are a good set. The price of those will run half that of the asking price. Also how many miles? Because of the possible need of an ip, I would ask if they would take less. And by the way, I don't think they actually rebuild these injectors, because it costs more to rebuild them than you can buy new ones for, so I would be wary of that too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of other questions to ask. "what brand of glow plugs are installed" if there Autolite or Champion, you don't want them in there. "Are the injectors a BB code" he should know since he bought them, and are they new or rebuilt. If the IP is painted gray, it's an original OEM. I doubt that it only has 117K miles, unless it is a one owner, with a 5 digit odometer, it could roll over many times and still show 117K.

6.9man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well didn't buy it bearing out in transmission and ball joints needed replacing low oil pressure basicaly been buying the body is all offered him 1500 hundred wouldn't go lower than 1800 though which couldn't blame him some sucker will buy it. Thanks for the info though guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online