Smoke?

1994IDI

Reaction score
I've had the stacks installed on the truck for a few weeks now, and the first thing I noticed was that it smoked more. I know for sure it smoked more, because before, it didn't smoke a lick.
However, since then it seems like the truck is letting out more and more smoke than it did when I first installed the stacks. Now this part I could be imagining, but it sure has looked a little smokier each week for about three weeks, but seems holding steady now.
Don't get me wrong, its not thick black smoke, but it is dark gray. I haven't messed with the IP yet since I don't have a pyro. I'm not complaining, because it looks kind of cool, but is anything wrong?

tractorman86

Reaction score
make sure the IP isn't loose and timing it's self LOL black smoke usually means advanced timing has your engine noise gotten any louder?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
we noticed this on my bros dodge to and the only thing that made sense to us is that before you had more pipe and maybe a muffler for the smoke to settle on rather than now where you have less pipe so less surface area for the smoke to settle.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Where do I check the IP for being loose? The engine noise hasn't gotten noticeably louder. But that doesn't mean it hasn't gotten a little louder. Just not enough for me to tell a difference I suppose.

tractorman86

Reaction score
if you are still running the original IP there will be a timing scribe that the factory put accrost the front of the IP to the back of the IPgear housing should usually line right up if you havn't had it retimed.

Truck#3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can it be the warmer weather? I notice mine smokes some in the summer and in the winter in nearly stops. with the colder air it burns the extra fuel up?:dunno

1994IDI

Reaction score
I'll check on that tractorman. Also, truck#3, that is also possible, it has been getting steadily warmer since I installed the stacks. Can anyone second that advise?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I'll check on that tractorman. Also, truck#3, that is also possible, it has been getting steadily warmer since I installed the stacks. Can anyone second that advise?

well actually yeaterday mine done the exact oppisite, it got back cold yesterday, and i cranked my truck and it was smoking crazy black until the motor warmed up, it was about 36 degrees, i mean mine always smoke quite abit of black smoke but this was more than normal:dunno

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that now with the stacks you can just see the exhaust better now? I mean, before the exhaust exited at the rear of the truck and the air flowing around the truck swirls the exhaust and dilutes it so-to-speak. Now, you have a front row seat to see the exhaust the way it's always been, just closer?

1994IDI

Reaction score
Fozz, that's possible, but from what I read on here, these trucks hardly smoke at all when they are bone stock, as mine is. I would ask if yours smoked, but you've got yours hopped up more than mine (jealous). Anyone concur? Like I say though I'm not terribly worried about it unless someone tells me it's a problem. I haven't checked on the IP yet, per tractorman's diagnosis. Thanks for the input and the input to come everyone.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
PArt of it is the optical illusion of the position of the pipe, and the rest I imagine is the elimination of old clogged muffler baffles that were trapping a large amount of the stuff on the way out before.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
checked the air filter lately? restricted airflow means less oxygen for the same amount of fuel leading to......black or gray smoke. lol

Last edited:

1994IDI

Reaction score
I put a a new filter in November or December. And I don't live in an exceptionally dusty or dirty environment.