Smoke from oil dipstick

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey my 7.3 89 with banks Turbo has pulled a lot of heavy loads up a steep hill recently. I had a water pump that was leaking like crazy and was unable to get it changed for a while well I've always had significant Blow by but ever since I changed the pump I've noticed a lot of steam or smoke which I chopped up is Blow by but the other day I noticed smoke coming out of my oil dipstick also the upper radiator hose was extremely swollen like a balloon

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a possibility new injectors and injector pump would help or does this thing need to be rebuilt. Also probably worth noting we had put a new return line kit on a few weeks ago and it ran so smooth it was remarkable but that only lasted about a day and now as opposed to having the one spraying injector where I first started seeing his problems to push me to get the new Hardline and also the return line kits now I have a couple or more leaking injectors but they are just leaking as if it's from the return line not spraying like the Hardline was doing before

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also there is a clear rapping or knock that comes and goes every now and then that usually only lasts for a couple minutes

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Punctuation helps to break up your sentences and helps me (maybe others) understand your posts. If I had to guess, I'd say that it sounds like you have multiple problems. While a new pump and injectors won't hurt, I doubt that they'll help. By you saying that the upper radiator hose was "extremely swollen like a balloon", that makes me feel pretty sure that you're getting combustion pressure in the cooling system. It may not be much right now, but it won't get better by itself. It also doesn't take much extra pressure to blow out a radiator hose. I'm also afraid that pulling heavy loads up a steep hill with a badly leaking water pump has caused you to need to pull the engine. Hopefully it's just a head gasket.

Last edited:

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you cooked the engine. Smoke from the dipstick tube is probably blow by. New pump and injectors likely won't fix anything.

Time to pull and rebuild...

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll definitely know it, though - with a lever-lock radiator cap, get it hot and then relieve all the pressure. Now, if you are making a bunch more pressure(with it still hot), chances are something is wrong(Unless you are under heavy load, the engine should never get to the boiling point of your coolant, even with no pressure in the system. Therefor, any pressure at that point is probably leaked combustion gasses)