simple tcase question

dulcevendetta

Reaction score
hey all, i have a 89' f250 diesel with a BW1356 transfer case bolted to a ZF5 was just wondering is the tranny oil shared with the tcase? or does it have it's own oil supply?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
My specialty is a T19 with a 1345 transfer case but the 2 t-cases are similar and the answer is no. There is an oil seal on the input shaft. I assume similar for yours.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a oil fill plug on the 1356, don't remmber if it's on the side or rear.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
the fill plug for a 1356 is on the rear of the t-case. You guys are right though, the transmission and t case are both sealed units and use their own oils, they do not share. I used to run transmission flud in my old 1356, what is best to run in them?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I think you're supposed to use ATF in the transfer case, but its been so long I can't remember.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atf in both the t case and the zf5. I have had a few 5spds that were hard shifting and the owners didn't know why. They had put 90 weight in.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup separate oil sources, unless a seal goes bad between the 2. Mercon III.

If ya separate the two in the truck, you'll think they share it tho.cookoo

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
the fill plug for a 1356 is on the rear of the t-case. You guys are right though, the transmission and t case are both sealed units and use their own oils, they do not share. I used to run transmission flud in my old 1356, what is best to run in them?

Any Mercon/Dexron or Mercon V will work. You could spend a couple bucks more and use synthetics. Mobil 1 is what I feed all my T cases.:D